1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use/have used Chapin spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JMHConstruction, Sep 26, 2015.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I picked up a new walk behind spreader today and was wondering if anyone has used, or heard anything about it. It's a Chapin Professional salt and ice melt 100# spreader. The deal was so good that if it even lasts a year it's worth it, $68. I'll try to find a link online to show what it is.

2. JMHConstruction

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

If it's YOU using it, I might invest in something of value. If crews are using it, cheapest possible, buy them five at a time. We have a few of those yellow (forget the brand) $7-800 drop spreaders - I think they work great - puts the salt where you need it, you use less salt etc...

No matter what, it seems they get dropped out of the truck, bounced off the ground. The frame tweeks and the gear box stops working or the gear box just plain doesn't work.......

That spreader in your link looks like any other 100# spreader.

4. DomaD

DomaD Member

May i ask where you bought it, i would like to purchase 2 at that price.

5. JMHConstruction

Sorry man, it was at a hardware store that went out of business and I picked up the only one.

6. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo Member
    from VA

I have 2, both crap.I let them sit and rot they are useless.

7. JMHConstruction

Well that doesn't sound promising. What didn't you like about them? Didn't hold up, or just didn't spread.

8. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo Member
    from VA

Spread was terrible, the hopper bolts always fell out during a storm when the guys were using them. The first one I bought (requires assembly) came with 2 right legs...I called them and they put me on the phone with thier so called "engineer" to determine the problem, it was pretty obvious. he wanted me to drill holes to make it work. I told him no send me a new one. To this day I still don't use either one. Go for a different brand! Maybe meyer?

9. JMHConstruction

Thanks for the heads up. Like I said, it was so cheap I couldn't not get it, even for a back up. I might as well try it. I have a few that work alright (maybe earthworks or something), but are on their last legs and never worked great to begin with. Think I may pick up a few hotshots and be done with it.

10. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo Member
    from VA

I think we are going to try some hot shots as well this season. Good luck with your spreader, I hope they work better then mine.

11. JMHConstruction

Update. Used the Chapin spreader for the first time today. Worked alright, but only if you used 1 bag at a time. It says 100#, but it only spreads with 50# or less. Once I stopped putting 2 bags in it did okay. Only thing was the spread was terrible. I would probably give it 2.5 stars. Wouldn't buy another. I'll try it again tonight and see how it does now that I have the hang of it better, but might go talk to the dealers about a Hotshot. I wish I would have just done that from the beginning.

12. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo Member
    from VA

The Chapin spreaders are junk

13. JMHConstruction

Yeah, wish I would have listened to you months ago. Did you ever get the Hotshots? How do they do?

14. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo Member
    from VA

No, I have not purchased any new hand spreaders this year. Might just try some simple red earthgrow ones (not sure the exact name) if you try the hotshot let me know how they work.

15. JMHConstruction

I have some earth grow. They did alright, but are all cracked and busted from guys shaking them to spread. I'll let you know about the Hotshots, I hate the price tag though...