1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use electric fan transmission coolers?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by trustyrusty, Dec 13, 2010.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

I had a transmission shop tell me today that I HAD to run a secondary frame-mounted transmission cooler with an electric fan if I was going to push a plow with my truck. Does everyone on here run them?
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what good it would do on the frame, but I am a big proponent of aux coolers and gauges on plow trucks. Until you see what plowing does to trans temps you absolutely would not believe it. I used to put the cooler right in front of the radiator, of course back then my plow trucks didnt have ac condensors and other stuff in the way. I ran a gauge and a switch so I could turn it on when the temps started climbing. My old 3/4 tons with the internal radiator mounted fluid coolers were totally insufficient for plowing. My 97 1 ton has an outrageously oversized cooling system, and just about every fluid system in the truck has a dedicated cooler, I did put a gauge in the tranny line but have never got the tranny that hot.
    If the frame mounted type is effective I'd say go for it, but you would definitely need a fan because you can't count on any airflow. Whatever you do, first install a trans temp gauge, you will be amazed at what ten minutes of plowing in 4 high will do to the temp. From what I've heard the factory installed trans temp gauges aren't worth much.