1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Accuweather's $1.99 Text Messaging Weather Updates?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Northland, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Anyone use Accuweather's $1.99 Text Messaging Weather Updates? I am looking at it and wondering if the severe weather updates would be good for me to use to get my butt outta bed when the snows coming. Also how would you guage the accuracy of their forecasts?

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Just watch the weather at 6, sleep if needed and get up at 11.

I have acuweather on my nextel, the software so that you can see radar maps. I've sat in lots so many nites wondering how much more are we gonna get, now I can just flip the phone and see the radar................

3. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

no - waste of money- I couldn't even use it at my house and I live in the north east:confused:
    watch the news or check radar on line
    Joel

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Tell me more about this. Do you download it from Accuweather website, how much does it cost, and what model nextel are you running it on?
    Thanks.

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

It's a nextel 560. You need the unlimited data package from nextel to use the software though, 10 bucks a month I think. If you go to nextel.com and look at downloads, they have a couple different ones for weather, I just picked accuweather. Nextel.com has all the instructions on the downloading and installing. That particular software was either 4.95 per month or one time fee of 19.95, I just paid the 20 bucks.

I think it's worth it, I can sit in my truck and see a 50 mile radius radar of any location. You can see if weather is gonna be here awhile, almost over or on the way. I use it for construction also - TV says 60% chance of rain but when will it rain?? Can I tear this roof off and have time to dry it in?? You just can't run home and jump on the internet, flip the phone open and look at live radar..................... No more guessing

6. SnowGuy73

Sweet I'll have too check that out. Does it look pretty clear on you i560? Thats the same phone that I have.

7. Northland

Northland Senior Member

8. SnowGuy73

I think that those text message update would get annoying, I would get more use out of the live radar feed.

9. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Just signed up

I just signed up and it was a pain. I won't get into the difficulties with the idiots on phone support (took 4 calls to get it straight) but the end result was this. Purchased "basic web plan for $5./month. Added Accuweather premium v3.0 for $2.99/ month via internet web page but I can change to $19.95 one time fee or one year but am not clear on that. You do not go through the "net" icon on phone to access which is something I didn't know but choose the "java aps" choice and it downloads automatically whatever part of the forcast you decide as your startup page. I have an i580 and the radar is decent although the refresh is not that great(choppy) . It has hour by hour forcast up to 10 day forcast. It includes snow as a separate item also rain and ice. I may end up liking it. You can sign up for firstwarn but it may take more that basic web to make it work.