1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a Snow Ex spreader?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bob coco, Jan 19, 2010.

1. bob coco

bob coco Member

I just bought a second truck to plow with. It's a 1998 Chevy 3500 DRW 2wd flatbed. I'm looking at a Snow Ex 8500 2 yard spreader. It's either that or the Western Tornado 1.8 poly unit. The Snow Ex is approx. 5,000.00 with tax and the Western is closer to 6k. So I'm leaning towards the Snow Ex. Does anyone use this unit or know anything about it?

Thanks in advance, Bob

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i use a sno ex and u love it, are shop uses snow ex, and salt dog

3. bob coco

bob coco Member

What size Snow Ex are you using? I like it because it's small in size which makes storing it off season easier.

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i have the 1075. but the guy i sub for; his fleet as mostly v box with 1 buyers tg

5. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

I like both of mine - one tailgate and one v-box. Tailgate is 5 years old, v-box is 2, no problems with either one of them. The tailgate has a habit of "sticking" so I have to get out of the truck and manually spin the spreader one or two turns to break some salt chunks loose, but then it is fine on its own. That only happens after it has been sitting awhile.

6. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I got 2. But if you search you will find more information faster.

If you ask me, they have the best tailgate spreaders on the market.

7. bob coco

bob coco Member

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to pick up the Snow Ex V Maxx 8500 tomorrow. I like that it's small in size as compared to the Western. I will be easier to store for 8 months out of the year. Plus it's light enough to get it on and off the truck by myself. I also like that there's no chain to maintain.

8. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

From what i have been hearing you can't go wrong with snowex. Im in the market for a 1075 tailgate mount when i come across one at a good price. Seems like they have less problems by having less parts, chains, belts ect... Just what i have heard though still researching on my own.

9. bob coco

bob coco Member

Oh well, I decided to not go with a slide in spreader afterall. I just got a smokin deal on a Swenson APB. Much more versitile now I will have a dump bed as well.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I like my 1075. Works good for bulk with a vibrator. It only got clogged once, and that's because the screen let a 1-2" rock through that got jammed in the auger. Other than that it is great. A lot of guys that were using the V-box SnowEx's have switched over to the SaltDoggs. They are cheaper.

11. bob coco

bob coco Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I actually went a different route. It will cost me a little more but I'm getting a very useful truck from this. I sold my flat bed body and bought a Swenson APB 2-S body which has a conveyor built into the dump body and it's fully hydraulic which runs from an engine driven pump. The body is made from stainless steel so no more sanding and painting and rust. xysport I now have a vee style dump body which is good for all kinds of work. I now only have to store a spinner assembly and a chute instead of a complete v-box. I got a great deal on this unit. It's a few years old but was never used.I have a lot of rigging to do but I think it will be worth the extra work and money. Now hopefully it doesn't snow for another week or two. LOL

12. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

Don't wish for that i did and im still waiting 2 weeks after my project got done lol