1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a poly plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Young Pup, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Hello, I am curious as to how the poly plows compare to the steel plows. Do they hold up much better and do a better job then steel? What is your overall evaluation of the plow?

Thanks, any comments welcome.

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

One of my Boss V's is poly. Wasn't sure how I'd like it, but so far no complaints. Snow doesn't stick as easy and you don't have to worry as much about rusting. My only complaint is the fading making it look pink.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've got a Poly V that's pushing 10 yrs old right now and I'm planning to buy another before winter. Mine is inside unless it's pushing snow and is hardly faded at all. I like the poly because the snow doesn't stick as much, there is less steel to rust, and if you damage a poly insert you just have to replace the poly and not the entire wing or moldboard.

4. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Unfortunately the previous owner of mine must have stored it outside. I just keep spraying it with oil to bring the color back.

5. Leland Lawn

Leland Lawn Member

I'm pretty new to plowing, but we only have poly plows. They great because of all the reasons mentioned by others here.
    I also like that the moldboard weighs less then a steel one, so that more weight can go into bracing and the structure of the actual plow.
    I was worried about the poly getting easily scratched and worn down from plowing gravel lots or driveways, but so far I haven't seen any noticeable wear in the moldboards from the few jobs that we have. I would buy another, and will in the next couple years.

6. Young Pup

Do any of you have issues with them not clearing the lot good? Or riding up over snow any?

Thanks.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

90% of the time they are heavier then the same blade with a steel moldboard would be. They scrape fine.

8. Young Pup

Thank you.

9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I like the meyer poly better than steel. No rust, look better..
    I bought steel on my new Boss because it was lighter than the poly..

In your case, sell the meyer and get a boss or western..:salute:

10. Young Pup

Yep, I can't believe the meyer poly is heavier then the steel plow. I picked up a book yesterday at the dealer. I thought for sure the poly would have been lighter. :)