1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a paintless dent removal service?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by k1768, Sep 7, 2015.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I was a total idiot today and jack-knifed my landscape trailer into the bed of my truck. I was able to hammer it out a little bit, but am limited by how much I can swing the hammer. The dent runs from the corner of the taillight housing to just above the rocker.

I am beyond disgusted with myself for doing something so stupid. I've emailed a few PDR companies photos to see what they have to say. Online before and after photos look promising, but of course they would only post the good results.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If it need to be hammered out and or you have tried to hammer it out.
    I don't think paintless dent repair is a option..

They have a hard time gettinga lot of hail damage out.

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

If the dent hasn't cracked the paint or chipped, you will never know it was there, a pro can do magic

4. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I've seen some pretty impressive repairs on YouTube. I'm not expecting perfection, I'd feel better if it was only noticeable at close range or if looking for it. Right now it's easily noticeable from 50' away.
    Still kicking myself over it. Pulled a reverse K-turn on a narrow road because I didn't want to drive an extra 4 or 5 miles.

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I did the same thing on my dump traler...twice. Had to replace the hydraulics box as well. Bumper creases the bed on both corners, one time left, one time right.
    Don't worry about it. After the second time you do it, you won't do it again..

Lol

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I might be teaching myself PDR. Emailed 3 local companies. In the email I detailed the type of damage and my expectations. I know pdr can not return me to a factory look, I'm after not as bad as it is now.
    1st to reply said he couldn't do anything with it. 2nd to reply asked me questions that I had covered in my email. I responded, nothing since. I've heard nothing at all from the 3rd. Contacted a few other companies, I'm too far North for the Southern guys, too far South for the Northern.

So I ordered two different size dent removal suction cups from Amazon. Maybe with someone pulling from the outside and another hammering from the inside it'll pop out some.

7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The correct way to pull those dents is to weld a tab onto the metal, and pull it out with a dent puller. They used to drill holes, and screw the dent puller in Much more effective with the welded tab on it. Here's the cheapy kit

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...v0j7zvQLKP-Ft1Ny_-y4l5PgfHP9dSBz1waAoJI8P8HAQ

no I haven't used it. I just pay the piper and have the local body shop fix my truck from time to time, or build a really big heavy bumper to protect it.:waving:

But then you'd have to repaint it.... Keep us posted and show before and after you destroy the truck with a big sledge after you take out your frustration on it..

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I realize that as you've described would yield the best results, but it comes at the highest cost and longest truck downtime. I've found a guy up north that said he'd cut me break to compensate my travel costs (about 80-90 miles). He's got some pretty impressive examples of his work online, probably will be heading up to him.

9. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Took my truck to a guy up north this morning. Overall I'm satisfied with the results, above satisfied with the level of customer service and honesty from them. He told me up front the damage was not a good candidate for PDR and he wanted me to be happy. He would have preferred that I walk than be unhappy with his work (and bash him I'm sure). We agreed on my level of expectations and his opinion on what he could do, and a price. Too often anymore when dealing with a company the customer is given a feeling that the business is doing the customer a favor, that's far from what I experienced. Through all interactions by phone, email, and in person, I felt my business was welcome, and appreciated.

Before:

IMG_20150907_151902.jpg

10. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

After

Here's an after picture, tried to take from same angle. It was a tricky spot due to the body lines coming off of the wheel well, down to rocker panel, and near the taillight. I actually hadn't noticed until he showed me that the panel on the rear side under the taillight had gotten pushed out too. He got that to lay flat also. I think if he had more time, I pushed him to, and shelled out some more cash he could've gotten it even better. But I feel this is liveable.

IMG_20150912_120906.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Maybee it's me that truck looks new no rust on frame or springs yet I would have fixed it 100% to many years of looking at it

12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Truck is 14 months old. Cost and down time pushed me away from traditional body shop repair.

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

One day at local shop maybe 2 with paint
    Get work done fast lawns are slow now
    And yes it's a year old when u sell it you will lose more then the cost of a proper repair

14. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

PDR is absolutely amazing. 2010 Cobalt went thru 2 hail storms in a month. First storm was 1" and was furious second storm produced 3 3/4" hail. Wasn't a panel on the car that didnt get a dent in it. Some of these dents were the size of a pop can bottom. Even the pillars around the rear window that support the roof had dents. Dropped the car off and 24 hours later I picked it up. Looked like new, he even took out the dings from other peoples car doors. Had my doubts at first, convinced me otherwise.