1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a JD Gator for commercial sidewalks?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by sparky2410, Nov 25, 2009.

1. sparky2410

sparky2410 Member

I am looking into buying a Gator for sidewalk clearing, just wanted some input. Thanks

2. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Ive ran the gators before, without plows, but I cant imagine it would be a bad idea, it is just expensive.

3. sparky2410

sparky2410 Member

Yeah a little pricey, but to write off a sweet toy to plow 3 miles of sidewald 5' wide. I think its worth it.

4. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Ya, I can understand that, if you do go that way, at least get the widshield or the full cab, riding around in an open gator moving along sux, trust me, I know.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

For the price you'll pay, you could have a ATV outfitted with a nice cab, plow, salter and everything for a fraction of the price. Now if you can afford to spend 20K on something like that, and heck, you might be able to use it for other stuff too, then I'd say get it. :D

6. boudy

boudy Junior Member

I'm going to look at a 2005 hxp 4x4 gator tomorrow myself. Farmer owned. He claims about 500 hours of light duty. Windshield, hitch, front guard. Asking $5500. Sound reasonable?

I read in another thread that the HXP Gator is great but JD plow for it - not so much. Any ideas on good set-up for walks and driveways? I'm little late on purchasing equipment. 12" snow in progress now in Northern IL.

7. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

The town where I work uses a Gator for all the sidewalks. Seems to well... not sure how it will hold up though?

8. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

get a mini truck from badgerland imo that gator will suck, it's fun right up till ya get cold, then you will wish you never did it,

talk to badgerland, he has some nice units imo

9. sparky2410

sparky2410 Member

Too late , already bought it, with full glass cab heat v-plow complete light package salt spreader on back. I truly think think unit is the ticket to success. I pick it up on wednesday next week.

10. Snowplowkid

Snowplowkid Member

dont forget pics!

11. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

They use them at my school for sidewalks...

12. tjslawnservice

tjslawnservice Junior Member

It depends on what kind of sidewalks you plan on using it on. My uncle uses on for his work that is an older 6 wheeled model and they don't really like it. Its to long and they fall of the walks. Not saying a 4wd model to do it.

13. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Ok, snapped some pics, sorry about the quality, i was in school when i took these... But they do LOTS of sidewalks with these, along with some clean up...

121609_1335[01].jpg

121609_1336[00].jpg

121609_1505[00].jpg

121609_1335[00].jpg

14. sparky2410

sparky2410 Member

Thanks for the pics, check out mine on my profile just finished it today

15. hndswthtshdws

hndswthtshdws Junior Member
    from Canada

I've used them on a few farms for different work. I think the biggest advantage over am ATV is the bed. You can really weigh them down when the snow comes all at once.