1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a Blazer to plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coachglynn, Feb 21, 2003.

1. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

Was thinking about getting a blazer for the wife and putting a plow on it as a back up. I do commercial plowing but have a few small lots and a small condo. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Great site by the way.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Blazer will do fine with a plow on it,you just may have trouble with the warranty,as I'm not sure if they cover it with a plow installed.I know our dealer wouldn't on our 96.We had a snoway plow,and it took a whole 5 mins to unbolt the truckside frame mount,so the dealer never had a clue it was used for plowing.
  3. coachglynn

coachglynn Junior Member

I can't believe more of you don't use blazers even for driveways. I see a bunch around here. If anyone could tell me what plow would be best for an S-Blazer that wuld be great.
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Full size 93 Blazer here. Had a 78 K-5 originally. Great plow trucks. Plenty of comments here about them if you want to do the search.
  5. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Have one and love it!!! Actually over the years we have had a series of either K5 Blazers or Ford Broncos. This may open up a Chevy vs. Ford can of worms, but we do prefer the Blazers. I don't know how new yours is - we have an 85 right now. It is our 4-wheeling rig in the summers. They work great in residential driveways, short and really maneuverable. We have an old 9' Fisher straight blade on it - we have remounted it from the old pickup it first came on to an 81 Blazer and three different 78 or 79 Broncos, and now this 85 Blazer. Back in our 2nd and 3rd years in business, we had a Blazer and Bronco both, the Blazer with this same Fisher blade on it and the Bronco with a Western pos. We have actually even run the 9' Fisher on the Blazer with Pro-wings, as long as the snow is not really deep it does fine. We probably end up replacing more u-joints than we would running a smaller setup, but for the amount of work we get done with it in comparison, it is worth it (in our opinion;) ) Since you said it was for a backup rig, I would say definitely do it. But your wife should be warned that you may like it so much she may lose her rig to you!:D
    Steve did beef up the front suspension - sorry I don't know the details but can ask him if you want more info on what he did.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have found the snoways really shine on the smaller trucks.The down pressure system makes up for the lack of weight of a small plow.The snoways are also very light,so it's a little easier on the front end.