1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a B.A.T. (Big A** Tire)??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BD Exteriors, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BD Exteriors

BD Exteriors Junior Member

I have the opportunity to pick up one of these units for a pretty good price, and I was wondering if anyone could share there experience. I have never run a bobcat with a box plow but looking at the BAT it looks like it would be alot more user friendly (with no broken parts, welds, etc) than a box or pusher style plow. The unit ways 1,400 lbs and I run an S250 so it should handle it no problem. My only concern is traction??

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

talked to them a couple weeks ago just to get an idea of specs.

was suprised at the price being so high, i mean it is only a "used tire" and of course their fabrication for mounting to quick connectors on a skid... guess i expected a cheaper price than metal push boxes but it was more.

Not saying i'd never get one. Maybe for next season we'd try to pick one up for a lot that has a ton of curbbage and see how it works.

3. Ukisuperstar

Ukisuperstar Junior Member

If your quite handy you might look into building one yourself.
    Check the B.A.T out and head over to a local quarry and ask for some tires. Almost gauranteed they would give them to you for free (Obviously the heavily used ones)

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I was told by a little birdy that someone in your area just got 2 of them. You could take a quick trip to Cold Spring and look at them. They seem kinda spendy for what it is IMO

5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I've been wondering when someone would use one for snow removal. Farmers have been cleaning the manure out of their barns with half a tire for decades. Usually in a pull plow type position.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I cant see it scraping very good...but would be interested in seen one in person

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I am going to build one this summer for cleaning out around my shop and barns(all gravel). I think that it should work pretty well.
    Robert

8. procut

procut Senior Member

That's kind of what I was thinking, doesn't seem like it would have the scraping ability of a conventional push box.

9. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

How much does one of these run money wise$$$

10. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

if you watch the snow tech video, it actually looks like it scrapes pretty good. I think one would be useful in those small lots with a ton of curbs as someone else said.

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

If its powder, rubber always scrapes the best. For wet concrete snow that we often get in this area of the midwest, it does not perform nearly as well as steel. Rubber and lots of salt make good partners.

12. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

nexxxxxxxt, i've watched some videos and it doesn't impress me....

13. axl

axl Senior Member

why is there no video side by side comparing it to an 8ft pusher box???? who uses a bucket to plow???

14. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

kinda high priced for a old used tire. But i think they could be use-full in the right situation.

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

How much are they?

X's 2

How much are they?

Also, what are the dimensions on them? Do they only offer 1 size?

16. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I thought the video on their site was a joke as well. Thats like me putting up a video of me in my truck and a kid with a snowshovel. They need to show a comparison to a pusher for anyone who is serious about one, not compare apples to oranges like they did.

17. Freebird

Freebird Member

So not a B.A.T. but we used an ATV for a commercial sidewalk, anyway the plow broke, long story short, idiots should not run ATV full speed into retaining wall and expect plow to win. Anyway, the solution was an old tire from the Shop cut in half, and bolted onto an old A-frame and hooked to the winch, didn't move well but it cleared the walks of the snow. Didn't scrape at all though, so ice underneath the snow was not going to come up. It was just salted HEAVILY.

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

You would be surprised.

I agree somewhat....but even then, when comparing the BAT to a rubber edge pusher....I bet the performance will be close. This is when the price factor "SHOULD" be the attraction to this alternative, along with the fact there is little steel to bend or damage.
    I would like to here from the ones that have posted...claiming to have had price quotes on these. Is there any particular reason why no one will post the price of these things...or the dimensions? PM me if you must... I would find it a major turn off, as a potential customer, that the site does not list specs/dimensions & pricing.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do old tires in these sizes have any other value? Do they get recapped?

20. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

how much does one cost????