1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a Amber/White colored bar ?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 2_Djinn, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Im looking at getting a 16" whelen century mini bar and see that they list amber/white as an option. Im having trouble tracking down a pic of that combo on a mini bar and figured you lighting fanatics would have some good input on the topic.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The clear is nice because its very bright and grabs attention. However is it less desirable when its snowing very hard as you will get more flash back with that. I used to have that some color combo in a mini bar. I loved it as it was super bright, but when it was snowing real hard I would just shut it off.

3. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Yeah I have hide-a-ways in the front and two in each tail light and I typically leave the fronts off cause of the reflection off of the back side of the plow. I have a federal signal highlighter on it that has all but stopped working and I have never had a problem with it reflecting off of heavy snow. Perhaps I should stick with amber/amber. Thanks!

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had a Whelen Guardian dual strobe, one amber dome and one clear dome with a clear housing and it was very bright, in fact blinding which I dont think is such a good idea.

5. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Some states restrict flashing white to emergency vehicles. I didn't see that specifically in the Indiana Code, but if they ever change the law, you'd end up changing the bar, or maybe putting an all-amber dome on it.
    Another reason to stick with plain amber from the beginning.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Honestly, as cool as a billion lights are and yes they get your attention, but I'm loving these Whelen Responder LP's. A bit pricy but you get a bunch of light for around 300.00

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Same here, that is what I have. Mine are amber and blue in color.

8. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

A few guys around here run amber/white. They are illegal and annoying, but they get my attention from almost a mile away.

9. duraplow

duraplow Member

I run Whelen mini guardian with white/amber strobes. Looks great and gets people's attention

10. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

When I order my bar I plan to have all amber LEDs but have takedowns on front and maybe rear that will flash or alternate

11. 06redzo6

06redzo6 Junior Member