1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone try rust converter???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LB Landscaping, Jan 28, 2004.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Just got the new Gemplers catolog a couple of weeks ago and was checking out their "Rust Converter." Anyone ever use it. I was thinking about trying it on tyhe plow & sander at the end of the season. Might try it in the bed of my dump body too. Got any feedback???

2. affprop

affprop Junior Member

Rust?

I guess that is what we will have to do is to protect our equipment from rust due to lack of use!!!!!!!!! It has been what two to three weeks since we have plowed? How has your season been?

3. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Haven't had a plowable event since Dec 20th!!!! Nothing in the forecast for the next week either.:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

4. 4speed

4speed Member

My experience with these products is that they Only work if you remove all the rust first. So why bother with it. There really are no shortcuts when it comes to rust

5. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I thought it was too good to be true.

6. kstt

kstt Junior Member

Well, let's not be too hasty....I've used rust converters on alot of different applications.....I think it's well worth the money. I've been able to save alot of metal that I otherwise would have thrown out by using rust converter.
    By the way, I manage a Paint/Carpenter shop that maintains a campus of a dozen buildings and we use it all the time.:nod:

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

What I like to do is spray visible rust with WD40 a few times a year. It penetrates the rust and leaves a residue that slows further rusting. Buy it in the big cans and get a pump bottle. Try it you may like it. Couldn't live with out it. Would like to hear more about rust converter though.

8. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks for the info guy's maybe I'll give it a shot, won't hurt to try.

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I've had good luck with rust converter in the past. Knock the heavy off with stripping wheel, 2 coats of converter then some paint to protect it....Chuck

10. truszip

truszip Junior Member

Have you considered POR-15. I've used it in the restoration of an old car that I'm building, the stuff works great on rust and bare metal and once on it extremely hard to get off. Just follow the instructions and it should work fine. http://www.por15.com/

11. pcleiter

pcleiter Junior Member

I was asking around on this as well a few months back when I repaired some rust through on my truck frame. I came across POR15 first and was about to go for it, but then I found this Rust Bullet stuff. It advertises that all you have to do is knock off the big rust and coat the rest with it twice. Seemed faster and easier than what POR15 wants (clean, de-grease, coat, coat) and it was cheaper, too. My concern was that it sounded too good to be true... (yeah, I tried it anyhow...)

The product has a support forum on their website. I figured I'd give it a go as a guinea pig so I have begun a post there detailing my experience for others to review. I think this link will get you right into the thread (not sure if I have my login cached there)

http://www.itkillsrust.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41

If not, go to http://www.itkillsrust.com/, then hit Support Forum on the left side, go to Automotive, and then my topic is 'Just applied Rust Bullet to my Toyota Frame'

I anticipate pulling the bed off in the spring and will see how the coated portion of the frame looks then. I'll post more pics then.

I'd like to get as much detail into my thread there as possible so if you have any questions at all, please let me know and I'll post my answers there.