1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried this brand of ice melters

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cl733, May 21, 2014.

1. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Ive been looking for an ice melter for next years season, we do mostly strata properties with lots of concrete around so high doses of salt are not too welcome,some of the places have short steep little grades, but nobody likes sand as it creates alot of clean up at the end of the year and nobody likes tracking it inside, we dont get deep snow falls typically, but do get warming and cooling from day to night which causes some ice formations. Using tail gate spreaders for application , and as normal , people would like it clean and as cheap as possible, in the past we have been using a product called deep thaw, it seems to break down and dry up the ice fairly well but purchasing it next year might not be an option,liquids arent an option either as we arent set up to handle it properly, any input would be appreciated,

http://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/Ice-Melting/IceMeltersforYourBusiness/index.aspx

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's the brand name that we use. No issues here.

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

cl733

I used the Diamond Crystal winter melt (red bag) for about 5 years when I had my F-250 with tailgate spreader and it worked great. I used it straight out of the bag w/o mixing in anything else. It says it works to 5 deg Fahrenheit, but in all honesty, that is in full sunlight on an asphalt parking lot (the black asphalt heats up better in the sun). If your treatment area is heavily shaded and/or it is overcast, you can expect good results down to about 15 deg Fahrenheit. I used 5 bags on a 15,000 sq ft lot.

4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I was thinking of maybe trying the glacier melt or the flash melt products, only because of the cold temp working range, we do alot of rather large properties with some having rather steep grades , and need a product that can cut the ice after plowing rapidly and economically, we get temps dropping into the -20C so having a product that works in that temp range is a must also