1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried hanging a plow on one of the new IFS trucks?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jomofo, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I had no idea the new 2500/3500 was IFS... Anyone seen it in action? Is it wesport or :cry: ?

2. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

they have been ifs since 92 i believe. and there are alot of post on here about torsion bars and ifs. use the search function it will provide alot of info.

3. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

oops my bad i thought u were talking chevys. i dont know anything about dodges

4. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

^ I was gonna say! lol... My 08 is SFA for sure!

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

2009 and new 2010's are still Solid Front Axles. The 1500's have been IFS since 2002.

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Yep just double checked... still solid axle and definatly ugly

7. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Where are you guys confirming the SFA? Dodge.com clearly states that the 2500 and 3500 are IFS for 09 and 10...

from www .dodge.com/en/2009/ram_2500_3500/capability/handling _suspension

Suspension
    Ram is built to be durable from the ground up with a coil-over shock double-wishbone independent front suspension for a smooth ride that has been tested on over two million miles of road. Out back, a solid rear axle with a longitudinally mounted leaf spring design from Hotchkiss provides massive support. High strength steel rear leaf springs, mounted directly over the rear axle, increase ground clearance, offering greater off-road capability. Staggered Bilstein® monotubed shocks help reduce axle wrap and wheel hop that can occur under certain acceleration and towing conditions.

8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

if you look at the pictures on dodge.com you can see that they only have 5 lugs instead of 8 i think someone messed up on the dodge site but the 2500's still have a solid front axle

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

maybe that is for the 2wd

10. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Also from the site:

Double-wishbone independent front suspension
    Standard on:
    Ram 2500 ST
    Ram 2500 SXT
    Ram 2500 Big Horn/Lone Star
    Ram 2500 TRX
    Ram 2500 Sport
    Ram 2500 Power Wagon®
    Ram 2500 Laramie
    Ram 3500 ST
    Ram 3500 SXT
    Ram 3500 Big Horn/Lone Star
    Ram 3500 TRX
    Ram 3500 Sport
    Ram 3500 Laramie

11. NBI Lawn

Its wrong. You can clearly see the diff in the pictures

12. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

from motortrend.com:

2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Base Regular Cab Pickup Handling, Ride & Braking Standard Features
    - ABS
    - 4.100:1 axle ratio
    - Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs
    - Dual rear wheels
    - Immobilizer
    - Rear limited slip differential
    - Fullsize spare wheel
    - Wishbone front suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs, beam rear suspension rigid with leaf springs

Don't tell me you're looking at that damned cartoon on the site instead of reading the text... :laughing:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  13. NBI Lawn

2009 is still the "old" style... Dodge's web site does not have specs for the 2010 yet. The double wish bone suspension is for the 2wd.

Go look at the web site again or any picture of the new 2500/3500, you can clearly see the diff on the drivers side

14. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Just spoke with the Dodge dealer here in Silverthorne who said the new 2500/3500 is IFS. Maybe, he, motor trend, and dodge are all wrong, but I'm betting it's just the picture that's wrong.

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the only change to the newer dodges are they are getting larger u joints in the front end to increase the front gvw. everything else is the same truck from before.
    mabe youll be able to get 40k miles on the new jonts instead of 30,000

16. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Just found this on Edmunds.com for the 09 3500...

"The 4WD 3500 has a solid front axle and recirculating-ball steering setup, while the 2WD model gets an independent front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering."

You'd think Dodge would be a little more careful about publishing their specs...

17. NBI Lawn

Dodge web site also says the 2009 is an IFS which is obviously not true. The dealer you spoke with probably just came from the Chev dealer down the road... its a sold axle

18. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The current trucks AND the 2010 redesigned ones are:

2wd: Double wishbone with coils

4x4: Solid front axle, coilovers.

For 2010, axle capacity does go up from 5,200 pounds to 5,500 pounds.

19. NBI Lawn

20. NBI Lawn

Coil springs not coilovers