1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone tow skids on a trailer like this??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rob_cook2001, Jan 28, 2010.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

2. baslertrucking

baslertrucking Junior Member

we use one just like it.. but two skids on it! i drive right up on... but usally go up fast.... and keep your bucket as low as possible-- good luck
  3. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

Had one similar to that but a goose neck. Could get up and down from it no problem.
  4. rob_cook2001

Have you tried backing on?? My S300's tail hangs over quite a bit but I need to be able to back on. also what type of truck to you pull it with?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Those are some incredible prices! wow!
  6. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Had a similar one on the farm but a 12ton version gooseneck, pulled by a dodge 2500 diesel, backed s175s on it no prob, I don't think you'll have a problem backing on the larger machine, even that new M series should work.
  7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

No kidding. We paid just under $10K for a triaxle 21,000 lb 22 ft galvanized trailer 2 years ago.

Their 22,500 GVWR / 23 ft. Pintle Triaxle Trailer is $5,190.00 Factory Direct-WOW!
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Some guys I know just started selling Gator Trailers and the trailer he bought for personal use has the smaller (skinnier) ramps. His is a 18ft regular equipment trailer with no beaver tail and yes it kinda takes some gettin' use to,lol. He has done several wheelies loading his skid steer. Ive used it several times and loading my skid steer wasnt that bad. When I go to order my trailer in the spring its going to be their 18ft 14gvw trailer. Its overkill but I wont have to upgrade, its a much nicer trailer, it has a 2ft beaver tail and comes with wider ramps with spring assist. Any one want a great deal on trailers pm me. His prices are several hundred dollars cheaper than any local guys. (my 18ft 14gvw with beaver tail and nicer jack and ramps is right around 3k) thats about 2k cheaper than any other local dealer.
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

At the farm I work at we put 2 skids on this trailer: (the tandem dual model)

The Bobcat s185 climbs up and down no problem, we usually back it on though.
    The JD332 would also climb right up forwards or backwards no problem but it has the hydraulic levelers on the back for a spade and they get hung up so its a pita to load/unload.
    We've also put a Bobcat s330 on it, it didn't have a problem getting up on it either.
  10. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

My trailer is exactly like that except its a 24 footer. That pic on the website is throwing you off. The ramps are really tall and there is a dove tail on it so there is a very smooth transaction from ground to up the trailer. You will love the dove tail after a few times, it definatly feels much safer.

I have always loaded everything by driving it on. I thought there was something about if you back a machine on and the exhaust is catching wind while you are driving that you can hurt the machine?
  12. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Ya mean like the turbo spinning the other direction. There was a thread here about that somewhere. Some say its BS. I have seen when they tow big rigs sometimes the put boots or m its over the exhaust. Or construction equipment stored for long period of time they put a can over top.
  13. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I've never heard that before, time to do some research. According to the machine you are always suppose to back them on, if you drive forward, especially without a bucket or attachment on, you are far more likely to tip backwards, I've seen it happen once, no bucket, empty front and it tipped back and got stuck on the ramps because the back of the machine lands on ramps and then only 2 rear wheels are on the ramps and not enough traction to pull itself and dragging rear-end up the ramps, and the guy driving said that he loaded his pants because he thought it was going to roll-over backwards. Anyways if you are worried about wind shoving down the exhaust, back it up on to the trailer and turn it sideways, thats how I see the truckers hauling them, and you can fit more machines on the trailer space wise. With the zero turning radius its not hard to do safely. You need to have a deck over though, if you just have a standard equipment trailer then I would leave the bucket on and drive forward on to it if you are concerned about wind messing up the engine.
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Between the longer ramps and the dovetail it's a very smooth trailer to load/unload. We have the dove tail where the center lifts up and locks to give us an extra 4' of deck space once the ramps are flipped up and laid down on the dovetail.

I've never thought about/ heard about the turbo thing. As far as putting something over the exhaust on equipment being stored it's more to keep creatures out, rain/snow, etc.
  15. rob_cook2001

Ok guys, the only thing that worries me Is I have a 26+4 tandem dual with flip over ramps. It is so steep that if i try to back my machine on the tailgate hits the ramps. That trailer I am looking at only has a 4 foot dove but the ramps do look a lot longer.
    I would love to buy a tow master trailer but DAMN are they expensive.

As far at the turbo spinning backwards that was really only a problem on older equipment. Older turbo's drained almost all there oil when they were shut off, newer style turbos keep a little bit around the bearings. Even on older equipment I would only worry if it was straight piped. If it has a muffler don't worry about it. If I am hauling one of my straight piped tractors I will cover the stack if I am going more than 15-20 miles.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a nice trailer for a great price. Deck height is listed at 35 inches. You have nine feet - 4 foot tail, and five foot ramps - to lift three feet.

You can get a rough idea if your stuff will go on pretty easy. Just get a 9 foot 2x4, put it under the rear tires, pick the end up 3 feet, and see if the counterweight hits.
  17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You get what you pay for with trailers. For that price, that's what you are getting. They are decent trailers, but don't expect it to be half the quality of a $9-10k trailer. My buddie builds trailers and quite honestly, steel alone for a quality built trailer would cost more than that. Factory direct or not, it's not a top quality built trailer at that price. Plus I've been on their site before. There's usually a steel surcharge, plus there may be a pickup fee, plus they will have a reason to ship it from another facility to charge you more yet. I was considering one from them a while back. A $3k trailer would have been closer to $5k by the time i got it how I wanted and jumped through all of their hoops.
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Our 22 ft only has a 4 ft dove but the ramps are pretty long and we back on fine with our 320. I would never drive on to avoid a problem on a deck over. JMO

On edit those prices are amazing. Does anyone know anything about these trailers?
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010

I just have a standard equipment trailer.

Prices on the dumps are great.
    Im thinking I could move those here for $1500 to $2000 more. The other trailer guys around me would call me a lowballer though.
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Like Goth20 said you have to know what the hidden fee's are and the qaulity of the trailers. I'm still trying to find out where they're made.