1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone thought make snowblower for truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Milwaukee, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well for some thread here that have hanson snowblower on truck.

But it cost $10,400 so used farm tractor's snowblower are $200-1,000 that are bigger.

Well idea I have.

Many of you have problem plow park lot that have too much snowpile or can't push anymore.

If someone try fab tractor's snowblower to front of truck and pto power by small engine that have 20 hp or more.

I think it would work great if those city get too much snow.

I think I will try on 93 F350 2wd First I need figure how power by small engine 20 hp.

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

northern tools used to sell one....seen a custom built one on ebay a few years back that was powered by a 350 chevy in the bed with a topper on it...also had hydro cylinders by each wheel for raising the truck off the ground to change flat tires...

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It's not a bad idea MIL, but the weight of a blower on the front of a 2wd truck probabily won't work very well.
    I have seen new blowers for a truck for around $8000 or less.
    They work great on a 4X4. A guy here has one and it is neat.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

this is a really good idea...

let me ask , if you had a central hydro truck? what about a central hydro blower for a bobcat? i know its only 60 inches wide or so

you might have to hang it off to the right side and make a small plow for the left side , but that wyould be neat to have for relocation.... might not cost all that much considering a plow these days is 4500 bucks

might have to use a boggy wheel off of a muni snow plow to help with the weight. mount the wheel in a manor that would be close to the truck so it would always be on the ground , even in the raise poistion

5. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Great topic I have been juggling that in my head for awhile also. Was thinking of using a tractor blower and converting it with a 25hp or larger gas motor attach to the front of a pickup 4x4, but inverted blower 60-96 inches, so you can drive in a driveway pull out and start blowing in the front yard. I find that the hanson is too much money especially after converting to canadian funds.

6. Milwaukee

Really I was think few months ago but thought it worth to try after watch youtube on chevy with hanson snowblower it moving like so slow then I thought not good idea.

Later this week start think how to do after we got too much snow here. That how my friend ask me plow at storage that have no room now so snowblower would throw snow across fence.

Tractor's snowblower size 7' would be weight close 650-800 pound.

93 F350 have gvwr on rear is 6,084 so I could put 5,000 pound cement on it since this was box truck so box weight 5,800 so I think 5,000 cement would be enough for traction.

But for now I am hunt on auction for cheap big snowblower but found several that are near to Goodrich, MI

For hydraulic we don't plan use expect for lift cylinder to lift snowblower up. We would use electric hydraulic pump that my friend have but hope he sell cheap.

7. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I have an extra truck 2500 4x4 with a western plow setup on a truck, would try to modify blower to hookup to western setup. But if your truck doesn't have a setup you can always modify a pump set for the front of the truck. 5000 lbs would be plenty of weight, but if you can get your hands on a 4x4 that is always better.
    The fun part would be to modify the snowblower to have power!

8. Milwaukee

That true but this F350 in better shape so I would like use my $400 out that truck so I am use until frame or body rot then replace with F250 or F350 with 4wd in future.

But for now I am check used snowblower then talk to my Uncle's brother about steel price to make mount.

It should be summer project but now too cold.

9. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

There's a guy here that has an older tractor snow blower that just been sitting in back of his barn. I've been after him for a couple of years to sell it but he just keeps saying he "might" need it some day?!?:confused:

Anyways that idea I had was to support the weight of the blower on a ATV trailer axle. I blower would be fixed straight. To lower and raise it I thought of using a standard 12 VDC single valve pump with two angle rams on a canalever system.

Something like this, crude but it was quick.....
    [​IMG]

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

how would you go arount turns?

what does a blower like this actually weigh? remember the closer to the truck it is..the more you can allow it to weigh.

if you cut a standard a frame in half. you could have a blower weight 1600 lbs , and it would feel the same to the truck as an 800 lb plow

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  11. Milwaukee

that sound best design

first I was think mount like how plow hook it.

It almost similar to garden tractor with snowblower I can't turn well due slide. I know what you talk about have long arm on snowblower to mount more weight if short arm more light weight like lever with weight on end.

Just forward and reverse like you have straight plow with no angle

here pic I know it worst draw but hard to draw with stupid laser mouse that keep mistake track.

[​IMG]

12. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

Forgot to state that. Both wheel are mounted on caster mounts. I'll try to find the picture of the fork lift that mounts the front end of a bobcat.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

you would have to use high speed wheels

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Not exactly- adding 1600 lbs to the front of a truck right over the axle will have greater effects on everything than an 800lbs blade 2 feet in front.
    Remember, there's theory and application.
    The Hansen, I believe in 8 feet weighs 1200lbs.

Unless you're running hydraulic motors powered off that 9hp engine that's not going to be enough horsepower- a 7 foot long auger AND discharge stage to handle that size auger- what's thew minimum hp size tractor rating? 25hp?

15. Milwaukee

I don't plan use hydraulic pto.

I would use same design way hanson do with engine with pulley to pto.

I am plan find 20 hp or 15 hp diesel.

16. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  17. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Want to find out how to put a blower on a truck the right way then go to YouTube and search for videos by Jerre Heyer.

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

i dont understand your statement. mayeb im reading it incorrectly

800 lbs hanging almost 4 ffeet off the front of the truck, would be very similar to 1600 lbs hanging 2 feet off the truck ...its all about leverage , the closer you keep the blower to the truck , the less stress. if that hanson weighs in at 1200 , and you keep it tucked close to the truck , you might not even need the boggy wheels

i think you missunderstood me with the hydros. buy a blower made to run for a skidsteer. they run off the hydro system of the skiddy. Then if you had a high flow pump driven off your truck motor... there you go

19. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Horsepower is horsepower you cant create more ponies by using hydros