1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone tell me what is wrong with this picture

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dr Who, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

My first plow rig, my second year and something just aint' working right, I can not seem to get the snow off the lots.

12.jpg

2. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

This is in fact the second blade I broke, the first I only broke one of the henge pins, but I ran across a complete setup for 500 bucks, just switched my new clynders on this blade and went plowing.

I plowed for 2 days with it, came home and the neibor was shoveling his drive, so I just pulled up and started to back scrape it and "flop" the blade fell off, the only thing holding it was the trip springs.

I have no idea how it did not break when I was using it across town, but I gess it needed a little help to break.
    What happened was both pins were seased up, they were twisting reather then pivoiting when i triped the blade, same thing happened to my first blade but on one side only.

The local plow place (only have one) wanted almost 1000 to fix it, that's labor and they wanted 50 bucks for the pins. I found the pins 30 miles away for like 20 bucks, got a freind of mine that has a machine shop to repair both sets of pins in both blades for 125 bucks.
    turned around and sold the 1st blade to cover the costs of the repair/parts and went out plowing the rest of the season.

I am using that blade this season, but I now greese it after EVERY snow just as soon as I wash off the truck/plow. I unhook the springs and work the pivots at least once in the summer and greese it. I guess the humidity we have in the summer play heck on the pivots or its a crapy setup or then again it was USED equipment when I bought it :)

3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I've seen that happen before but its definitely not common to see around here... drill and tap the pin sleeves and put grease zerks in them so you can just squirt grease into them. Or take the pins out and anti-sieze them then you really shouldn't have to grease them. Greasing might be a better method though as it might lubricate more when tripping and keep wear to minimum. Not sure how well anti seize lubricates. Its a really good idea to coat your trip spring eye bolt threads with anti-seize as well, keep threads from rusting and nuts from freezing onto the bolts.

4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

the pins in it now have fittings in them, anti seize was used when they were replaced as well as the sleeves just a little more "loose" by 100th or so (crazy machinests) then the orginal so I can "fill her up with greese" as I was told. :)

never thought about the anti-seize on the trip spring bolts, gotta do that, in the spring....

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I'd go ahead and throw anti-sieze on them now... a lot of rust can occur between now and spring.. Don't have to take the nuts off right now just hit the exposed threads with it. Get the threads under the nuts later when you take them off next time.

6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Ah, thats a good idea...I got something to do for tomorrow!

7. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

I can tell you what's wrong...................................MEYERS

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  8. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

From the rust tubes in the classic mounts, the rusted/seized trip pivot pins, the power units, and the controllers, I wouldn't own one.
    I work on all brands of snowplows, and I work on Meyers the most.
    I am a heavy equipment mechanic, but when it snows, it's 24hrs of plow repairs till the snow stops.

9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Oh come on, Meyers has to be doing something right, they have been around since like the 20's or 30's....

10. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Rust tube, just don't take it off..
    trip pins, well I have broke 2 sets, but learned to greese them after every day/storm used.
    controllers, I have no problem with mine, its a snoway that I wired to fit the meyer plow since I fried my controler.
    not had any issues with my power unit yet.

each his own, but I will stick with what I know (and know how to work on)..

11. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

You are right, each to their own.
    Meyers will do the job, but I think there are many, many better options.

#1 The rusted tubes: It is designed to take off. ( that doesn't work ). You shouldn't have to leave it on.
    #2 Trip pins, you said yourself that you broke two sets. ( that doesn't work, bad design )
    #3 Controls, you again said it yourself. You aren't using a Meyers controller or harness since you fried your Meyers controller.
    #4 Power unit, Just give it some time and you will see what $$$$ it takes to fix it.

Are you starting to agree with me now ?

12. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Everything breaks, I hope the power unit holds out, but if not I will fix or replace it..

I have to agree that the tube is a stupid design, but I find it better to leave it on, don't hav eto mow around it. So I just welded the tube to the frame bracket, I like the look of a truck with a plow on it. I do not know why anyone would want to pick up one of them to put it on and off, its dang heavy!

Trip pins, you would think they would come up with something better, but its an easy fix since I know how now.

the controler, well I fried it hooking it up wrong, got 2 wires crossed, was not paying any attition to what I was doing. But the Snoway controler is way more heavy duty then the meyer one I had, it looked like a video game conroler inside. I made it work rether then give 100 bucks for a used one.

I have never been around anything other then meyers, I do however like the V plows(boss?), I just can not afford anything like that for no more snow then we get.

but you have to admit that for what I have in it, I can not go wrong (1000.00) and that is with all the new parts/rebuilt pump ect.

I am going to buy a 2nd truck this summer, it will be a ford and have a meyers on it unless I can get one heck of a deal (I have lots of meyer parts) and I will need them :)

13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have broke both pins on a meyer before and it was hanging on by the springs also. They seize up in there, If they dont have grease points this is common. Had to torch out the pins and put new ones in and off we went. Common problem with older meyer plows.

14. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

The Boss V unit isn't bad, it has a few issues.
    I have repaired a Boss V that the trip pin worked it's way out, then the driver V'ed the plow back against the sticking out pin.
    It blew the center V'ing hinge wide open and bent the wing so bad it needed replacing.

The Western and Arctic V-plow on the other hand seem to be a very nice units.
    I really like how they have trip edges instead of the full mull board trip like the Boss.

How in the world is the Boss suppose to trip when it is V'ed in either direction ?
    Is uses springs to pull the V back ( single acting cylinders ). This may be good, one less hose, one less valve and coil, and one less control single ( wire to go bad ).

Arctic is and I believe the Western are double acting cylinders and hydraulically power open and closed.
    But like I said, the trip edge on a V plow is a big, big +

15. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

I sell them, but I am in the same boat.
    Here in Jersey ( Jersey shore ) we don't get much snow.
    Had a heck of a year last year and just got 20+ inches the day after Christmas this year.
    I only have a plow, because a customer I sold one to 5 years ago traded his truck in and sold me back the plow.

You didn't go wrong for a complete set-up for $1000

16. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I often wondered about how the V blades triped when they were in V position, I have never been around one to look at its workings, but I see how this is a big difference in V makers. I would not want to have a pow that did not trip easy, as I seem to hit stuff often.
    No, I do not fly and ram things, I just do not know were stuff is on these lots, I have been subbing for a company and I did not get the lots untill the first snow, so I am guessing were stuff is and taking it easy. If I have these lots next year, I am stakeing them, but I am sure they will get pulled out after 2 days :(
    I know that mine is good to go, but I always freek a little every time I trip it since I broke 2 sets of pins in the past. I could not fathom how I would react if I had the option to break the blade in two :)

17. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

20+in Wow that is more then we get in 2 years combined..
    our norm is 12 a season/year, we got that in Dec and our snow don't start untill mid Jan. I got my fingers, toes and eyes crossed hopeing this year we get hammered with snow!

I tell eveyone that snow is not white, its green!