1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Sub for more than one company at a time?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tyler_mott85, Sep 22, 2010.

1. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 Junior Member

I'm going to be doing some sub work this winter and am trying to figure out the best option for being profitable.

I have two separate companies whom are interested in having me work for them. They're both offering to pay close to the same rate per hour. What I'm wondering is if I should work for just one company and drive all over the city where they need me, or work for both at the same time and pick properties that are close to each other between the two of them so that my drive time is kept to a minimum? Of course the hourly pay wouldn't work in this scenario but if we agreed on a fee per each lot it could work out for me.

Does anyone else do this or am I making things potentially too complicated

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, you can work for multiple companies if one doesn't keep you completely busy for the storm...

I do it....but you have to be able to handle it.

3. MileHigh

Plus you would want all the work in the same area or city...Or run multiple trucks.

And they will ASSIGN you properties that you handle...not just call you up in the middle of the night and be like..we need you here...WHERE?

4. maxximus98

maxximus98 Member

I don't know any company who is going to allow you to work for another company at same time! You would assume both companies are going to want you on their lots first. If I had someone ask me to work for me and another company at same time I would definitely tell them I am not interested in having them work for me! I would pick the one you feel is more reliable and go work for them.

5. MileHigh

True..

The situation would have to work out perfectly...Lots being opened at different times and such.

I guess I'm lucky to where I can mix it up with sub work and my own contracts along with other sub work...Thing is... I don't get called out, we handle it ourselves, which is the way a good sub should be treated...We know when things should be done, which things are more priority, we get it done....

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I would just find a company that has enough work to keep me busy. I do know some companies will allow you to do a couple of your own accounts.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

No. I've seen enough joe's out there doing the double take and dropping the ball on everyone. You get too greedy, you can't handle the jobs, you cant manage nor control the weather nor traffic. All your doing is buring bridges that you'll never mend again.

Pick ONE. Tell the other you'll call them AFTER you finish to see if they need any help. Otherwise, go home, do maintenance, sleep.

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The guy that i used to work for would let me do my own lot's while i was on my route, i would just take the time off of my hours worked so that he wasn't paying me to do them. He was alway's cool about that stuff and i always gave him 110% treating his lot's and clients like they were my own. It's a shame he decided to stiff me out of a $1000 at the end of the season. Now i need to find someone else to sub for.

The only way you could do work for more than one at a time is if they paid you per lot and the priority worked out for both of them. I like finding one guy that can keep me busy every storm for the whole storm then when i'm done with there's i call around and find more work or i go to bed..
    It can be done but you better be upfront with both of them so they know what to expect.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  9. 5280TOM

5280TOM Junior Member

We work for a few different companies and it can be helpful when the storm hits in different areas. I would take locations close together over being spred out everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Less travel time means less fuel, less potential of an accident, more time onsite to get a good job done and ultimately all that equates to more $$$$$ and isn'tthat what its all about. That's what my ex-wife said anyway!!

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Kind of frowned on around here. I would never hire any one who pushes for another company, just too many conflicts of interests. As a business I need you when I need you not a couple hours after your done with xyz company. Just look at what they offer and more so how many hours they can offer you. Perfect example, a kid wanted to plow for us and another company a couple years ago. I could only offer him around 28/hr (yeah, yeah we all know our area is bad so please hold your comments about the price) any way, he opted to go with the other company who was paying him 2 more dollars an hour, ok thats fine good luck, bla,bla, bla. He called us up half way through the year asking if he could work for us, I asked what happen, he said he was only getting around 3hrs a night. Sorry, position filled.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Ok, first off I will say typically no its not a good idea. But i have to admit I did this the first 2 yrs I got into plowing cause I didnt have enough of my own work and neither contractor that I had hooked up with could promise me enough either. I was able to satisfy both contractors and cover my own stuff without any problems (had to bust some serious a$$ to pull that off btw). Coming into the 3rd yr I called the 2nd contractor and told them I would no longer be subbing for them because I was tired of the runarounds and the fact they were giving us very minimal work.

I still work very closely with the other contractor, and feel that I have developed a very lasting and profitable relationship with him.

Treat the companies you sub for like its your own stuff. If they show you appreciation, respect, & pay you good....you will most likely develop a relationship with them that will help both of your businesses grow.....if not, get away quickly.

12. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i wouldnt do that, your going to piss a or b off in a big storm and it isnt going to work out. pluse if you have to you could always call them back at the end of the storm if needed and see if they have any extra work or are behind. not enough work hurt and to much hurts twice as bad.

13. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Awe, I shouldn't take that as a comment about me, should I? Hope not.

14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

If you're a one truck guy, you need to choose who you will spend your time with. You'll get your self in trouble trying to juggle this.

It shouldn't be a problem if you have multiple trucks and multiple loaders to offer.