1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone still looking for bulk salt Chicagoland?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chitownsnowedin, Nov 12, 2008.

1. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

I got salt pricing at $110 a ton picked up in Chicago. I need to buy 2,000 tons for that price. Though I will need it for the season, I only have cash for 500 right now. Anyone still looking for salt? Maybe a few of us can pool together and get this price as it seems better than I can find elsewhere.

2. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

where at in the chicago land area is the pick-up

3. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

I was told in the city, not sure of exact address. I can find out if you are potentially interested.

4. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i need salt but only 50 tons

5. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

we are in northwest indiana. we have in the past gone to east chicago. i need around 180 - 190 tons, the exact address would greatly help in the decision.

6. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I need about 50-75 tons

7. lawncare1

lawncare1 Junior Member
    from chicago

I need 20 tons here.Thanks Brian

I need 20 tons here.Thanks Brian

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i need 50 more

9. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

What is the cost with delivery for 200?

10. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

Cost is $110 picked up. Company does not offer delivery on this deal. I can perhaps deliver for you. Give me zip code and I will give rate per ton.

11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

We are looking for approx. 40 ton. Our zip is 60545, if you would be so kind as to get a delivered price please?
    Thanks

12. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

If you still have salt let me know 815-549-6653 I can take about 200 tons to 60914
    thanks
    Brian

13. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Just found a backup supplier, thanks anyway.

14. michigan salt

michigan salt Member

Salt

We can quote deliveries for 40 ton loads. We split @ the MI border and bring 20 and 20 to you. Call 888-340-SALT. or check us out @ www.michigansalt.com

Thanks.

15. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

i could use 20 ton as well

thanks

tony

16. michigan salt

michigan salt Member

Salt

We can deliver to the Chicago Area for $160/Ton. 40 Ton Minimum
    Thanks. Call me if interested.

Andy
    Michigan Salt
    888-340-SALT
    www.michigansalt.com

17. traviswalker007

wow

after reading a few threads and seeing prices from 80 a ton to 160 a ton, i really think companys are gouging snow removal buisness, just like the gas stations do...pretty sad!!!! there is no shortage of salt, only what people are willing to pay.

18. michigan salt

michigan salt Member

Not true

If you can give me the number of where to get salt for $80 per ton delivered I may want to buy 10K-20K Tons.

I'm not going in to a long winded explanation, but we are not gouging. We have good quality salt, not mixed with sand and not with all fines in it. For us to deliver that far,that is the price we have to charge. I can deliver in Metro Detroit for $115 to $125. But we also can carry the full 40 ton. For Chicago, we have to drop at the MI border and bring the lead, then go back and bring the pup, carrying 20 ton at a time. That is why the price is so high, its in transportation, were not gouging at all. If you can get it cheaper around there, no problem, were just letting people know we have it and what the price is. All my customers have be happy with the quality..

Andy
    Michigan Salt
    www.michigansalt.com
    888-340-SALT

19. traviswalker007

wow 2

112 ton to detroit and 160 to illinois, with fuel at its all time low...

115 x 40 = $4480 from howell mi to detroit mi
    160 x 40 = $6400

1920.00 dollars to deliver and your not gouging??? ok!! lets break this down. its roughly 240 miles from howel Mi to illinois so your charging about $7.70/per mile to deliver...well for that price i would push quality too. As far as price elsewere, im sure you can get salt from kansas, Iowa, or even canada and being a salt supplie i think you know that but your going to charge what the market will pay just like the gas stations do and try and sell everyone on this BIG Shortage..right, I think bush said it best " Shock and Awe"

20. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

However!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I too would like to know where to get it for $80.00 a ton delivered in the Chicagoland area.

I have hear all kinds of noise from the well wishers about, NO SALT SHORTAGE, I HEARD FROM A GUY THAT HAS A GUY WITH SALT TO SELL FOR $$$$$.

However, when I pass on my number and say, OK, I want 100tons and I will pay CASH$$$$ when can I have it my phone NEVER RINGS.

However, when I am talking to everyone else in the area who is buying salt and taking deliveries I am hearing the same thing. A couple of days to get salt in the bins after the order.

However, when I am talking to the drivers that are dropping salt in my yard I am hearing the lines are 4-6 hours long and then they only get 16-18 ton loads.

Before last season I would order salt and get it the SAME DAY up to 3 loads if it was before noon. Anything ordered after noon I would see the next morning. The loads were always over 20tons. All this couple of days one load at a time and 16-18 tons did not start until last season.

So I tend to put stock in what is really happening and as I am living it and not depend on what other are talking about sitting around in the yard moaning about how life sux.

I am just really tired of hearing all about the THERE IS NO SHORTAGE, less see what happen in a couple of weeks when bagged material runs out because of all the panic and guys that were useing bulk took 10, 15, 20 truck loads of bagged in stead or when the state puts seize on all salt at the dock and NO ONE is getting any salt. Than we will see about no shortage.

I do hope not of this comes to pass but all indicators sure do seem to be leading in that direction and if you would have told me last season that I would be takeing delivery of salt that was trucked to Chicago from Canada I would of told you to put the pipe down and step away from the white rocks.

Best, Ron G.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008