1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone still bidding property?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Deco, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Deco

Deco Senior Member

Got 2 calls today from businesses obviouisly still "shopping". Already had a salt event saturday nite and folks still are not locked in . I also have 2 in limbo unsigned as far as I know . this one tonite im looking at is a relocated trucking outfit along the delaware river . im thinking T&M bidding for a new twist .either way , no one loses . no busines like snow business :laughing:
  2. dchr

dchr Senior Member

You gotta love it--Still have a couple of commercial's that I am waiting to hear from-I know they haven't gone with someone else yet because I know the two other guy's that bid on the property also. I picked up two residentials today-I guess the little bit of snow Saturday night kind of pushed them along. This last minute stuff is getting annoying--I guess it's all part of the business and it's work so I shouldn't be complaining.
  3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

yes , a healthy storm will push their aces along . only bad is last minute staking and material purchase.one of these props require 8 ton a storm and i could have gotten better pricing last month .shame on the mess.
  4. RobMI

RobMI Member

I'm also still waiting to hear back on a few, the lack of snow this year has made people forget I think..
  5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i got a few calls today from places looking still. two of them want a price but they will call when they want it done ya right ill be right there.
  6. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Got 2 commitments this morning am waiting on a couple of others and had 2 calls requesting a price this morning. Not sure what people are thinking this year??
  7. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

I am waiting on two commercials myself with 2" last nitght and 6"-8" coming tuesday I can see it now wednesday morning getting a call last minute.:dizzy:
  8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i would not service anything without a signed contract . thats how you get burned .
  9. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

They have been forecasting "Snowmaggedon" here the last few days. 15 inches with 40mph winds. Supposed to start Tuesday afternoon. So today, Monday, I get calls from 4 resi's and 3 commercial accounts. One of them is a chain of nursing homes and needs 3 properties done!

Just told the resi's no, but then passed them on to a buddy who I knew would want them. With the commercials, I gave them a price 150% of what I would normally bid, told them they have to sign a contract by noon Tuesday, and give me a deposit equal to 3 pushes because I don't know them and its unusual that they don't have someone lined up already. (Did the guy from last year tell them to get lost because they are not too punctual on payments???)

We shall see what happens by noon tomorrow.
  10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I got called from 2 residentials today. I signed one, but decided not to look at the other. The one was really close to one of my routes. Oh and it snowed about 3"
  11. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Well I don't know how to consider this one.

I'm waiting for approval on one yet. Here is the catch... We have 8-12" coming for tomorrow afternoon into Wednesday, the property manager said plow it hourly and we'll sort it out later and pay you for your service no matter what. Not sure what she meant. But I guess I'll plow it, it's small and a non-for-profit deal...so they should be honest.
  12. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

got a call today from a restaurant that is still price scouting and bid out three other lots earlier this week i didn't get..people are late this year!
  13. lawnproslawncar

Like Leaves>>>three calls on saturday. "can you do it before tuesday?"

"ummmmm...it's gonna snow MONDAY. Besides we're done for the season 5 days ago!

Some people
  14. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Got a call tonight from a church. We're expecting our first storm for the season and it's suppose to be a big one starting tomorrow!

After doing this for about 10yrs, it still surprises me that people wait until the very last minute to try and line up a plowing contractor! I mean c'mon people......did you really forget it snows for 5mo out of the year?????????:laughing::laughing:
  15. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I was talking to my friend yesterday who owns a 17 person plumbing business and he said he has with out a doubt the hardest time with clients who say "We'll figure out the money later." It's always a very difficult conversation after the work is done. Try to sort it out this morning if possible.
  16. lawnproslawncar

I try to get contracts negotiated or at least get a start to it in AUGUST. I think people hope that it won't snow over the WINTER months
  17. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I find that these people are the types that will ask you for a flat monthly price and then try to argue that they shouldn't pay for November since it didn't snow.

I give a brief explanation that monthly is the total seasonal accumulation, no matter when it comes, divided by 5 monthly payments, and if they want to divide by four bigger payemnts... fine by me.
  18. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Phone wont quit ringing.

We have been steady for the last month or so bidding 1 or 2 properties a day, yeasterday my phone didnt quit ringing till 9:45 PM, Im taking what i can get at this point ill over load my self then sub out some lowballer on craigslist. almost hired a guy on there to do my drive cuz i cant do it for that cheep :laughing:
  19. Deco

Deco Senior Member

a 20" incher ought to speed things up .:laughing:

just bidded against a major snow broker today and beat him , but not by much . they start playing the lottery above 12" going for an astounding $891.00 hr.
    the property is only about 60k sq. wide open shot with no obstructions .
    may have been a typo on their contract
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  20. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

well I feel a lil better- I still have a few out that haven't confirmed yet. Those are the kind I worry about....... phone just hasn't really rang much this bidding season