1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone starting out?

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by hickslawns, Nov 10, 2008.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Anyone starting out sweeping in this economy? Sounds crazy, but we are having some ridiculous bids around here right now. I am not getting out, but not planning any future expansion until my new competitor puts himself out of business. If anyone is looking for a nice startup unit or backup truck, I am going to be selling my 99 Schwarze 343D. Selling cheap. Under $10k

2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i happened to fall into the business more than anything else just because lot managers/lot owners wanted an all-in-one guy. i cant say i plan on getting rich or anything at this but atleast i dont have to worry about the sweeping guy trying to take my lots away. but email some info about this truck and pictures...nick@redmanconstruction.com

3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Hey Phil,
    Would you send me pics as well through the this site or post them. Thanks

4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

We are currently taking the lettering off and repainting the hopper. It is a 1999 Schwartze 343D with the Perkins rear and 6.5Turbo front. I need to look, but I am thinking around 125k miles. Not great, but not going to be expensive either. Seems like $30-40k for a used unit usually. We went thru and rebuilt the lift cylinders and put new hydraulic lines on it earlier this year. I will get some pics posted when it is done. Might be a week or two. THanks, Phil

5. redman6565

how much were you looking to get for this truck again?

6. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

7. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I guess i let the cat out of the bag too early.:blush2: I need to see what our total costs are in the truck, where it has been depreciated out to, and what this paint ends up costing. Probably be another week or so before it is ready to leave the shop. We are painting it in house. I guess I didn't figure on much activity with the economy and since the ongoing joke seems to be nobody follows the sweeping section on this site. ha ha Joke is on me. Will work on getting the truck finished and out the door for pictures ASAP. Price will be under $10k but I just don't know how much under just yet. Thanks for your excitement and interest.

8. redman6565

listen i make it a point to keep the sweeping forum active haha

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Phill ?

I find my best times are just after gliding through the tight times. If you get out the competition will raise there price and be able to afford to stay in business. Hate to see you go.
    You will come back around and say hi once in a while won't you?

Dwan

10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Dwan- Hi!
    I am not going anywhere. I still have 2 trucks working, I am just trimming the fat. Lose a couple big ones, and pretty soon you don't need 3 trucks. I figure as cheap as this guy is bidding, I will work within the profit margins I need to stay in business, and wait for him to fail miserably. I am not trying to sound like a vulture, and certainly not trying to sound arrogant. It simply is what it is. I have local competition bidding 15acre properties for $60. The one in particular is 35 min SW of me. This joker is 40 min north of me. I just scratch my head, and figure it is a matter of time. Just because things are tough in the economy doesn't mean you should drop prices in order to pick up accounts. If you work at less than cost, you are losing money. Losing money is worse than breaking even. I am simply selling one of the trucks, trimming the fat, and positioning myself for the long haul. I want to be able to post on here 20 years from now. 30 years. Heck I am only 33yr old, so maybe in 40 or 50years I might retire. ha I doubt that one, but maybe in 40-50yrs I will start thinking about slowing down a bit. :)

I stated earlier I am not planning any future expansion which after re-reading isn't totally correct. I am staying on the offensive and doing more sales calls. I am simply working on grouping and keeping a tight route locally within the margins.

11. Snowshow

Snowshow Member

Phil has it figured out! I like your philosophy.

12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

But were are the pics of the sweeper?

13. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Snowshoe- I wish I had it figured out. You are giving me a big head! Far from figured out, but I do have a game plan. We all need one if we are going to be in it after this economic slump is over. If we are still rolling after the slump, we will emerge stronger. I am confident my company will still be rolling, and I am confident the joker under cutting me will not.

Superior- you are right. What a turd I am. I will get some pics. We got side tracked with a couple little snows, the hectic holiday schedule, and my Grandmother is not well. I will get some pics as soon as I can. Sorry.

14. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

15. redman6565

Did you ever end up selling the sweeper truck?

16. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Still sitting behind the barn. Grandma died. Christmas and New Year happened. Plowing snow ever since. The truck has not been a priority as we have had a busy plowing season so far. I still plan on finishing the painting and making sure everything is good to go before I officially list it. I will keep you posted. Sorry for the delays.

17. redman6565

sorry to hear about your grandmother...no rush i was just wondering is all

18. redman6565

did you end up deciding to sell this?

19. redman6565

did you ever end up selling the truck?

20. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Maybe theres an emotional attachment ? LOL