1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone spray WD40 on the underside of their trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Jan 8, 2012.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I know fluid film is the thing to use, but anyone use WD40? How flammable is that stuff in terms of getting it on the exhaust pipes?

2. marcd97

marcd97 Junior Member

I have used it I found it would wear off quick

3. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

While it will do the job for a short time, there are far better and less expensive products that are designed for that job. Fluid film, Krown, Rust Check etc...

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I used transmission fluid.

Not on purpose.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You would be aboot as well off to piss on it.

6. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Lol been there too hahaha

7. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I use PB Blaster. Little more oil in it than WD40 and seems to stick around longer

8. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Cheap way to undercoat your truck , bar & chain oil . A gallon will do two trucks , with an undercoating gun !

9. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

Amsoil makes a product called "heavy duty metal protector" It's just like WD40 when it comes to protecting electrical but dries to a wax like film. I never thought about undercoating my truck with it but I do spray the inside of my bed under the bedliner with it. Keeps it from rubbing on the paint!

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid Film for me. WD-40 is to thin, and would require 2 to 3 times the amount of applications to do the job of 1 coating of Fluid Film.

11. rock18201

rock18201 Member
    from NEPA

just so we are clear here. FLUID FILM & WD-40 are not even close to the same thing. They are two different chemicals all together. They both have differnt properties, Go with the Fluid film you will not be disappointed.

12. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Absolutely agree. Fluid film 100%

13. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Just curious when you say undercoating gun, is that different than a air/ paint spray gun? Different tip size maybe...?

14. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

We have been using Rhomar products the last few years. All truck frames get coated with armour seal, and all moving parts and sander parts get coated with the lubra seal. I have been very happy so far with their product.

http://www.rhomar.com/products/armour-seal/

15. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

16. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

17. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

No , undercoating guns aren't like paint sprayers . all the ones I've seen ( I used to sell them ) draw right out of whatever bulk container you are using , from gallon jugs to 55 Gal. drums . They work on the syphon system . You can buy them at autobody supply stores , maybe even parts stores too .

18. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

WD 40 doesnt do the job, it actually seems to evaporate. Use the professional undercoating rustproofing material and you cant go wrong

19. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

I will say this...I sprayed Fluid Film on the moving parts of one of my plows today and one of my trucks to do a test run (got the test run free from the sponsor on here just shot him an message and he sent me a small can)...and when I sprayed it I was amazed. It does not comapre to WD-40 in any way shape or form. It almost looked like a glue sticking to the areas I spayed so I am assuming that it will hold up pretty well. Now that we are expecting our first plowable snow of the season finally here in Chicago, I will be able test out the product.

20. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Wd-40

WD-40 is good for two things , drying electrical wires and connections , and gathering dirt ! People have misused it so much that they actually list it as a lubricant on the label now , didn't originally ! . WD stands for "water displacing" and the 40 comes from the success of the 40th formulation they tried . It's only lubrication properties come from the fact that it's a liquid , whick is one step better than bone dry .