1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone shovel off rooftops in the east coast?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

This is not a bidding question, but have you ever done this?

I saw a bid spec package that requires the removal of snow over 6" or more from a factory rooftop, newer building too, its some sort of metal roof, like a pole barn but thicker, get ready, TWO buildings are 200,000sq ft +! They require 12 shovelers available to go up at any request minimum and a cherry picker or scisor lift located on site for 6 months for rooftop access.

Now my thinking is snow/ice + metal =slip and i can just see 12 guys flying down a 30ft non-steep pitched roof top off the edge and 14ft to the ground, 12 workers comp claims in a half hours time lol. I cant imagine the insurance you would have to carry for that type of work. I quickly realized that this was no $100k seasonal contract and most likely closer to 500k, which we cant even entertain in those price ranges for our company size.

They specify specifc sized and weight class trucks, IE BIG dump trucks with 10' minimum width plows, spreader trucks 25,999 and larger, which is at least a ford F650 +, the whole 50 page package was rediculous.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Being that your in NJ I don't see you going up on the roof with the snow you been getting the last few yrs.
  3. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Ok I'll put in my 2 cents, over the summer I chose to get a more steady paycheck (really bad summer) so I worked full time for one of my customers as a Commecial Flat Roofer, (we did these steel roof) which 95% of them were ribbed well I know they get realllllllyyyyy slippery (I started to work for him part time in march, still had an average of 3") Bottomline you can't get traction, and Ice build up in the ribs is impossible to prevent however we shoveled up to about 4' away from the edge then used a rubber-paddle snowthower a small homeowner single stage worked, because as you assumed a lot of guys slipped, ehile never any injuries but it sucked, so I'd recomend the snowthower!
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i've scooped a few roofs in the past, mostly so we could shingle them.... i've been on over 2,000 roof tops and have only fallen twice, both times were scooping snow! BTW it is physically IMPOSIBLE to scoop 2-200,000+sf buildings with just 12 guys. it would take over 100 shovelers.. i'd try a truck mount roof vac and vac it into the big truck or a melter..
  5. farmermatt

farmermatt Junior Member

an acre is 43,560 sq ft so that is like 9+ acres I would say there are plenty of people on here who dont PLOW! 9 acres let alone shovel it.

It sound to me like the customer may have more money than brains or has no idea what they are asking for you to do
  6. broncscott

broncscott Member

A few words qf advise from a metal building builder for the last 20 years. Shoveling roofs is needed in heavy snows. Look for skylights, most will not support a person. If you walk on screw down roofs ribs wrong you may kink the ribs causing cracks in the sheet even on 24-26 ga roofs. Another problem with heavy snow is the deflection of the z purlins if this is the system used on this building. The purlins start to roll at midspan.The additional load and motion of labor on the roof with Z purlins could cause roof failure. When building new or repairing a metal roof osha requiers fall protection. You will most likely need this to shovel. These roofs are slick with only rain. be carefull Scott
  7. Jay brown

who ever built these buildings are stupid!!! why didn't they just spec the building for a huge snow load....our building is specked for our area and should never have to be scooped....
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

would some yak trax help in the snow. sorry no link, on a stupid mac and cant stand the thing
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah i know, well apparently they were engineered in Atlanta, GA and didnt accomodate much snow load at all. and they did mention the "deflection" so it must be that type of roof system?

Its a government deal and surely way out of our spec. We dont even have 12 employees let along trucks/snowlowers and 12 labor guys just with shovels. I was also told too that with enough snow, the roof could possibly collapse with the weight of people up on the roof with heavy snow.

How would you guys use snowblowers on the roof anyway? Im pretty sure this type of job is one of those 500k per season jobs, just way out of our bounds of meeting their demands of labor and equipment for it.
  10. Jay brown

with only 12 guys you would have to scoop 24 hrs a day, everyday, till spring!!! and you still would never get caught up..lol
  11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

only big roof i know of that gets shoveled they have a bunch of young people (17-24) mostly that makes rounds in a 10 passenger van and a small bus and work for nine bucks a hour.
    they usually go up and get high while they shovel it.
  12. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

hey....money is money lol

i fthey wan ta service like that just go to "job ready" and get 12 mecixans' or 32 white guy's (same difference) lmao

but in conclusion i would not turn the job down:nono:

13. broncscott

broncscott Member

Just some advise. When you speced for your area building gets 2 foot of snow dumped on top of freezing rain you shoul call a forklift co and rent enough forklifts to put one under each rafter before it fails
  14. Jay brown

good point! but the bid was for 6" trigger if a building can't handle 6" of snow, they did something wrong in the specs.
  15. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

all it would take is one man and one manlift...........just go in there and rip out all the insulation off the roof and then crank the thermostat up. simple enough lol

before machines, they moved mountain's, dug through mountains for the iron rail. built wooden ships without a single power drill or band saw.

i am not saying the shoveling job would be easy but it can be done.

i am in complete agree-ance with Jay. i think the engineer need's his head examined lol

16. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

when you get them from the temp service get a few extra since you know there will be some fallings.;)
  17. Ramairfreak98ss

as far as labor goes , listen to this part of their 500 page contract.

All employees must have proven workers compensation records and be paid "prevailing wages" during all billed time while on site for the term of the contract.

Theres even a full page sheet, you must fill out about every worker.

They want to know

Age, Race, Religion, hourly pay, what so they can see what you profit off of each worker?

They want percentages of how many of your employees are white, black, asian, mexican, etc/other ?

They want to know education levels and if their job position is skilled or unskilled.

Your gonna have to pay us a LOT of money if you want reports like this that have nothign to do with snow removal.

What are prevailing wages for snow anyway? I know that when electricians do federal work, they get like $80hr, the company may make more, but even the laborers that work for the big company, must get paid those rediculous amounts.

I can see it now

Skilled Loader operator $125hr, not loader fee per hour, but id have to pay them that crazy amount

Snow shoveler/laborer $23.00/hr
    Basic plow operator $48.00/hr "we supply all supplies and plow/truck" lol
    Snow thower operator $34.00/hr

I mean is it really that dramatic? I know in other industries "prevailing wages" can be that exorbitant.

My brother once got paid $24.00/hr for like a month to help "clean up houses" that were under new construction. for instance, years ago, i got paid $10/hr cash and was thrilled for the same exact type of work for a different company for a 50hr work week summer job.