1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone see this with a V ??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Eyesell, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I plowed yesterday for the first time with my new 8/2 V and noticed something really wired toward the end of the evening.

If I angle the plow to the left / right / or scoop mode, the wing that is extended or both in scoop position seem to float back and forth. They don't hold their position very well, or when in scoop mode the wings one or both ( not pushing much snow ) seem to drift. Why would this not happen right off the batt ??

With my straight blade, when it was angled one way or the other that was it, no drifting what so ever. This really started to frustrate me cause even when the blade was straight it didn't seem to hold the position, it would eventually drift back to the where I had it set, but pushing a long parking lot that thing drifted a lot :eek:

Overall the plow kicked a*s, the thing was everything I thought, the new lights are much better than the my previous ( 3 year old straight blade ) and just the ability to scoop ( when working properly ) was awesome. Now I know why so much time can be saved with a V over a stright.
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

standard cylinder's or smart lock ? how heavy and wet was the snow ? maybe check valve's not seating .
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The wing breakout pressure can be adjusted. If you exert too much pressure on a wing they are suppose to fold back. They are set that way in case you hit something. I think that's what your talking about anyay.
  4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm not sure if they are Smart Lock or Standards, and I do understand the fold back part, I guess this may be normal and I just need to get used to it.

I'll have to wait till I get to use it again and see how it works out.

Thanks again
  5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

like jd mentioned i think your breakout pressure needs to be adjusted. that never happens with my 9'2" vee unless its a good amount of wet heavy snow, and in that case its doing its job...
  6. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Not normal.......bring it back in and have them adjust the BOPV. Your blade should stay fixed in its position, in any configuration.
    It will take quit a bit of force to open the valve to release the pressure allowing your blade to give, sounds like yours is set to low.
  7. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

+1 ... thats not normal I have plowed in all kinds of conditions and have never had that happen.
  8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Great information guys, like I said it's brand new but with all your input I'm off to the dealer tomorrow.

I thought something wasen't right with it acting like it did with a 3" snow fall, glad to hear it wasen't just me.

Again, thanks a lot !!!
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Well, went to the dealer today and I checked, no Smartlock Cylinders, however he did say that the 2 outboard valves will need some adjusting and to bring it in. He said to raise the plow, put it into the V position and see if the wings want to drift back, if they do he said to turn the allen bolt all the way in on the valves and then back out about 3/4 turn. So we'll see next storm, hope it helps.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you've never had it happen you should should turn your kick out pressure down, so it does it the odd time.
  11. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

I have had it move in if I hit a curb or some thing but never from just pushing snow
  12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Well I figured out what was wrong with my plow today, being that I put it in storage at my buddies yard last time I used it ( which was the first time ever ) I tried to hook up today and had a hell of a time.

One of the main pins that holds the part of the plow with the lights and stuff fell out, it is located right under the handles that you move from ON/OFF, it's about 1-1/2 in in dia and about 3 inches long, this caused the plow to drift while I was plowing and what I have to deal with now is a bent plow frame on a friggin brnad new plow. I'm not taling about the part on the truck but the plow itself. When ever the plow is raised in the scoop mode it now grinds coming down due to the fact that the frame is bent and the headling part is rubbing on the plow part ( pic's to follow tomorrow ). I took it back to the dealer and he said there is nothing he can do right now as he does not have another frame in stock. Nor, did he say I'll order you another one, he just said run with it.

My feeling is this, I just spent North of 5K for this thing and I want a new frame and it to be covered under warranty. How in hell would I do something to cause that huge cotter pin to come lose and cause the pin to fall out. Should'nt this be covered under warranty for faulty assembly ??

It would be like driving down the road and your rear bumper falls off, it's not your fault the bolts failed or were not assembled properly.
  13. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

14. themechanic43

themechanic43 Junior Member

If he doesn'd warranty it, call Boss directly and they will make arrangements. I caught a few technicians forget to bend over the cotter pin, and made it part of my routine to check before lettting the customer leave with the plow. Also, it's good practice to look at them every time you hook up, because I have seen the cotter pins wear out and shear off.
  15. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

that sucks, id go back in there and not be so nice this time. thats bull the way there dealing with this, id suggest a new dealer as well.
  16. White Knight

White Knight Member

The new pins use a bolt instead of a cotter pin like the ten foot plows
  17. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

That's what they gave me was the new style pin, but now when snow is on the plow it has one hell-of-a time lifting cause the weight of the snow but the fact that it's rubbing on the frame dosen't help either.