1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone running this???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by caz41, Jan 10, 2005.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

Is anyone running anytype of dual battery or dual alternator setup? I have a 99 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas motor. I have the 130 amp alternator and it still really draws alot when I have the warning and extra backup lights and stuff on. I put a new alternator in at the start of this winter so I know that it is not going bad. Let me know if anyone has done anything like this. Thanx.

2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I went with one deep cycle marine battery from Interstate. The Interstate rep said that I could replace the 1 battery every two years and not spend as a dual battery set up. Jan and still no snow so I don't know how effective it is yet.

3. GPB

GPB Member

My 02 Chevy came with the factory installed auxilary battery. With 2 batterys and the high output alternator, I have plenty of power. Whats also nice about the aux. battery, is its isolated from the main battery when the ignition is off. With the key on, you have 2 batterys, with the key off, only your main battery is allowed to discharge. So if you happen to leave your lights on, it will only run down 1 battery. Leaving you a fully charged battery to start your truck.
    It was only a $135 option when we ordered the truck.

4. caz41

caz41 Member

GPB- where is the aux. battery mounted? Do you know if they sell some type of mounting setup for me to add an aux. battery?

5. GPB

GPB Member

The aux. battery is located on the pasenger side fender, all the way back against the firewall. Atleast thats where they put it in 02. Maybe try a Chevy dealer and see if its something that they can order for you. Another option might be either an auto parts store or perhaps a snow plow dealer. Either would probably be cheaper than the Chevy dealer.

If you cant get an extra battery mounted somewhere, another cheaper option might be to replace your current battery with one that has more capacity.

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

All you really need is the tray and the little plastic battery clamp. I bought some cheap battery cables at Napa and hooked both batteries together.

7. caz41

caz41 Member

So do you just hook postive to negative from the aux. battery to the stock battery? Sorry to ask so much about it, I'm just not much of a mechanic and don't want to get screwed by a dealer for something that I can do myself. Thanx.

8. caz41

caz41 Member

Just to clarify my last post, I didn't mean crossing them, what I should have said was positive to postive and negative to negative. :eek:

9. caz41

caz41 Member

Blade- could you post a picture of the set-up?

10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

If you add a second battery and a battery isolator(Napa), to serve the function posted above and to charge each battery as needed, I think you would be ok with the alternator you have. Also if you increased the size of your alternator, you might want to add another feed wire to the battery.

11. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'd post pics of my set up but I don't have a digital camera, sorry. There's nothing to it really. You take out that bracket that runs from the firewall to the fender on the passenger side and discard. There is like 4 or 5 studs sticking out from the passenger side coming out of the firewall, there is where your battery tray mounts. I ran the positive wires together on the battery and ran a ground to the chassis. You could go buy isolators and relays and crap and waste money on charging this battery when your idling and switches to this battery when your sleeping but this set up works and its typical to plow trucks. Best of luck!!