1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone running the XLS?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by NLS1, Aug 5, 2008.

1. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I am adding a truck this season and am considering either a 810 8611lp or an XLS. Does anyone use an XLS, and if so how is it actually holding up? Any thoughts would be great! Thanks, Dan
  2. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

Go 810 they seem to clean a little better then the xls
  3. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

If you can swing the money I would get a 8611lp erie special from Jerre @ jerres service. only real difference between the 810 and lp is the size. Unless you are pushing it on weight the lp only weighs like 100 lbs more. the XLS holds a lot of snow, so in the middle of a storm the XLS will be the heavies of all. after talking with some people that did an impartial test on the XLS it is a good plow but the blizzards are better value for the money and just a better plow. To each his own.
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I have an XLS that I bought in early Jan of last year and absolutely love it. I feel its built very well and it has increased my productivity by somewhere in the vicinity of 25%.
  5. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

Fisher over Blizzard

Hey... Even though i have not used an xls yet let alone touch one but I DEFINETLY can say go for the XLS. Fisher bought out blizzard so thats where the idea came from. Parts for the Blizzard will become hard to find as for the fisher which won't be going out of buisness!!!! Plus the fisher won't break down like a blizzard hahahahaha :D
  6. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

Spoken like someone that hasn't used either!!!!;) Blizzard will not be going under and if you actually look at them side by side they are actually pretty different. Yes being able to expand was copies but not a ton more than that.

If you get an XLS, which I still think is a very goo plow, I would definatly call Jerre and get a set of his wing edges so you dont get chatter (his won't ware out after 5 plows either). Also one "problem" with the XLS and Wideout over the blizzard is that they will float up on a pile if you get into deep snow where as the blizzard will stay down where you want it. If you are looking at the XLS I believe I know where you can get a good used Wideout.

My vote is Bilzzard and the LP first then the 810.....but what do I know I only own Blizzards and got a chance to play with the others in Erie during a rather large storm!:dizzy:
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, but will it stand up to Bullwinkle?

I have an XLS sitting at my shop. Has close to 50 pushes on it, and it looks dang near brand new. But it isn't mine.

Personally, I'd stick with the Blizzard, second choice would be the XLS. Despite seeing how well the XLS held up.
  8. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Thanks you guys, keep em coming. I've seen Jerre on PS, but I live in MN, how might I get ahold of him, and if I do wind up with an Erie special, how do I get parts in a hurry if something breaks? I here Jerre is the man so I am definitely interested in knowing more. Thanks guys! Dan:waving:
  9. NorwayAuto&Plow

Only one person in our area has a blizzard and thats because he tried to open a blizzard shop. One year later he went out!!!! Theres one boss dealer.... one western dealer... and five fisher dealers and its been that way for over ten years now. If five fisher dealers can survive in the same location then they must put out good products!!!
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Or they sell a ton of replacement parts and Fishers are common in the area ;)

Got 1 Fisher dealer, one Western dealer, one Boss dealer, and no Blizzards dealers within 10 minutes of here.. but theirs 6 Meyer dealers.

Does that make Meyer the best? Nope, the Boss dealer sells more new installs than 4 out of the 6 Meyer dealers combined.

Only thing the Meyer dealers sell in volume, is parts.

Not trashing Fisher..just pointing out the fact that the reason for a specific quantity (as far as dealers in an area) can't be determined by demographics.
  11. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Fisher did not buy out Blizzard. Douglas Dynamics, which owns Blizzard, bought out Western & Fisher. That is why Fisher & Western came out with expandable snow plows last year. The Fisher XLS is the only expandable plow that is a trip edge design. Yes they are all different in their own way but, most parts are interchangeable.
  12. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Douglas Dynamics has owned Fisher and Western for over a decade. They just bought out Blizzard which was a family owned business a year ago. The reason for buyinf Blizzard? So they could share the technolog with the other lines.
  13. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Flipper, that is what I meant, I just swapped it around...thanks for clearing that up.

Nov 30, 2005
    LM Week in Review

MILWAUKEE — Douglas Dynamics LLC announced it acquired Blizzard Corp.'s line of truck- and skid steer-mounted snowplows.

Douglas Dynamics manufactures snow and ice removal equipment with operations in Milwaukee, WI, Johnson City, TN and Rockland, ME. Its brands include Western and Fisher Engineering snow and ice management equipment.

"We are excited about the opportunity we see in this product line," said Jim Janik, President and CEO of Douglas. "We view Blizzard snowplows as high quality and innovative products that enjoy a high level of market acceptance."

"This sets the stage for continued growth of the Blizzard brand of snowplows," Cal Niemela, president of Blizzard.
  14. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I ran an XLS last season with no issues, the plow performed well, the 1 thing I really like is my XV & XLS are interchangable on my trucks. There's no Blizzard dealer near me, in fact I've never seen a Blizzard, so I can't comment on them, but I would lean towards which dealer in your area has the best reputation.

15. NorwayAuto&Plow

Douglas Dynamics has owned fisher, western and resently blizzard.... Fisher has the trip edge making it better for plowing. Trip with the blizzard or the WIDEOUT in the full span and wings forward will make you loose your snow load. The center of the blade will lift up due to the corners being forward more than the rest of the blade. Personally.. i think the whole blade tripping is messed up!!! Its right behind boss v plow wings being pulled back by springs on my bed designs list.
  16. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Heres one of my pics! For those who have sideplates that you manualy slide up with a pin, well with the xls when you need the side wings they hydraulicaly come out....& they go back in when you only want the straight blade! You can go from 8 ft to 10ft, awesome for windrowing! But the trip edge is such a better design than westerns moldbord springs.

17. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Provide proof, besides it's a Fisher.
  18. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

how far of a radius are you basing this off of? stahls has two shops that both sell only boss, and they seem to do pretty well.
  19. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I would like to see the 810 in person but there is no place on long Island or near that seems to carry Blizzard plows. That said I would go Fisher just for the parts being local. Make sure you consider how easy parts will be for both.
  20. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Well, when plowing & hitting an obstical, the the bottom of the plow trips & at the same time keeping the load of snow being pushed intact. As for the design of spring-moldbord trip, it interupts the entire push. Thats my preference of design in a snowplow. And yes its a Fisher I bought it cause I liked it.

What plow designs do u run?