1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone running older medium duty's still?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by LuckyPlower, Oct 25, 2015.

1. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

Here is one of ours. 1987 chevy. Restoration was done about 7 years ago. It's been a summer only truck. Anyone running them for winter work still?

1987 dump.jpg

2. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

We run an 1989 f600 for a sander . Cannot bring my self to put a sander on a new truck. Owned the truck since new and still runs like a top

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Is that gas or diesel?

4. LuckyPlower

Gas. It has some decent power still.

5. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

We are running a 86 gmc it's a semi in the summer salt truck in winter just pull the 5th off

image.jpg

6. LuckyPlower

Nice rig, What type of salter you running? I was thinking of running a salter on ours.

7. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We're running a '95 F-700. Took it to a job today with the bobcat and 7 yds of dirt. Hauled it like it was nothing.

8. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

Well our 99 freightliner took a dump so we are going to put our Swenson on it it's a steel v box with a Honda motor its 2.5 yard but with the side boards we can haul about 3 ton. I think we are going to make a hook up for the salter to slide in the fifth wheel. We have 7 semis so if the old gmc takes a dump I'll have 6 other back ups lol

9. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Cool pics!

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Both trucks are in nice shape, I know I could find a use for them. I don't think either one of them are old. Its not the age as long as its not a antique. its the condition and how it performs.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a '95 and '98 F800.

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I got two IHC 1954 single axle 86 and 87 Both DT466 10sp and 13sp 11 ton and 13 ton. Never try to put over 10 ton. Not safe to me. The only way I would consider replacing if they got to rusty. They don't work in the winter much. In-frames are cake.

13. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

We run our 1995 every day it pulls 18 ton with no problem

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I learned to shift a split rear end in a 1981 C70 with a 427 gas. It was a retired power company truck with a 16' bed and a 4' tool box between the cab and bed. What a nightmare..................

15. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Why was it a nightmare???......Btw..Did you hear the Lions Beat your beloved Packers..........:laughing:......:laughing:.....:dizzy:

16. jomama45

The truck was a dog, constantly overloaded, and I was only 17 or 18. I had other kinds of "split rears" on my mind at that age.............

Did you hear Budweiser bought out Miller, and now all they're going to produce is Red Dog?????? :eek:

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Cheese wheel get in the way?

18. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Had an old Ford Louisville with a 5 speed High/Low in it....Loved that truck...:drinkup:

19. jomama45

No, that's what the 4' tool box was for.................