1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone running HID bulbs in Intenifier lights?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ontario026, Nov 16, 2009.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Is anyone running HID conversion H13 bulbs and ballasts in their MM2 Intenifier lights? Do you like them? Work well? Brand and Colour temperature? Does the ballast fit under the cover?

Thanks
    Matthew

2. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I'm installing intensifiers on a customers truck this weekend, he's been asking about HID's for them...
    I might be doing those also. If i do, I'll let you know.

In the snow, the lower temps are better, 3000K (bright yellow) is best, but kinda ugly.

3. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Well, I ordered a set of H13 HID conversions... 6000K colour (chose 6000K based on AlaskaBoss's pics) and they are supposed to be 55watt not the 35 watt... I will try and take some pics of the install...

Matthew

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Subscribing, I want to change mine over as well, but would rather learn from everyone else's trial and error rather then my wallets. :nod:

5. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

DITTO. I'm subscribed. Best of luck

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

same here I wold like to do this to mine also!!!!!!

7. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

I'll be watching as well

8. grec-o-face

My plowing partner just ordered the parts to do the swap on his Meyer set-up. I will also try to get pics.

9. bersh

bersh Senior Member

You are going to be pushing your luck with the 55w kit - they shouldn't even be selling the 55w version of the kits as the ballasts and bulbs were never designed to run at that wattage. At startup the 55w kit will need to draw about 4 times the current of your stock lights, so you will need to for sure run a power harness with relays. If you try to run this off the stock plow harness you are either going to get flickering lights or in the event they do start you're going to eventually fry something.

10. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

And were were you before I ordered my kit yesterday Bersh? I ordered the 55W kits since that was what Alaskaboss did on his conversions, and never did any other reading about it... I just did a couple net searches and there is talk of dedicated relay power harnesses required etc or risk melting..... I just emailed the guy I ordered my kit from and asked him, and told him if they hadn't shipped yet, and if I was in any risk of melting for him to swap them back to the 35W kit...

I'll keep you guys posted
    Matthew

11. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Honestly, there's no reason or need for anything more than the 35w kit, especially for the low beams. If you don't get to swap kits, the 55w kit isn't the end of the world, you're just going to have to be creative on how to rig up the power harness to feed the ballasts in each headlamp housing.

12. grec-o-face

I've been doing HID conversions for a long while now, and I totally agree. The 35w units are very good. I don't see the need for a 55w unit ---- BUT, it doesn't mean others have to agree with me.

13. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 55W on my truck with no relay and not one problem!

Been a year with it too!

14. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Don't worry its only a matter of time.

15. bersh

bersh Senior Member

That only means one of two things. The first is that it's not a true 55w kit, or the second is that nothing has fried yet. I will say that running them in the truck is a lot different than on the plow. You can get away with them for a longer period of time in the truck. However, the Fisher isolation module isn't designed for that kind of current draw and these 55w HID kits will either fry the wiring or take out the module or both.

Stock low beams draw about 9.13 amps for both. The 55w HID kit will draw between 18-20+ amps at startup, depending on the kit.

Is it worth the risk of a few hundred bucks worth of damage to get marginally brighter but more poorly focused light that more often than not only really produces considerably more glare than usable light? There is a reason that the more reputable HID kit suppliers (if there is such a thing considering these kits are illegal in the U.S.) refuse to sell the 55w kits. There's also a reason why OEM systems are 35w.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Slightly off topic, but I recently rewired my Intensifires with relays. I also set up dual burn, lows with the highs. The light output now is amazing. Truthfully, I don't see much need for more light. When they are properly aimed, just a tick high, there is no issue with visibility. I am going to try some amber halogens, and see how much difference the color makes. I may try HID, but it's a low priority for me now after swapping to relays.

17. bersh

bersh Senior Member

This is something that also makes a huge improvement to the stock vehicle headlights as well. OEM wiring is marginal at best and there is a lot of voltage drop. Supplying full voltage to headlamps will typically provide between 15-30% more light than stock.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I did both truck and plow side. Used four relays, hi/lo, truck/plow. Dumped the Fisher Iso module and miles of wiring. Added a switch to turn the dual burn off and on. It's awesome. I have to manually flip a switch to swap the lights from the truck to the plow. It's alot of work and time consuming each time I hook up, but worth it to me:D

19. bersh

bersh Senior Member

You sound like you like to play with stuff as much as I do. I assume by "dumping the Fisher Iso module" you are talking just about the headlight feeds, or did you rig something up to control the plow as well?

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's next. It's an XV, so diodes will be my friend. I'll have a toggle for each wing, a toggle for up and down, and a float button. Schematic is drawn, just need to gather the parts and do it.

I already have one Boss 13 pin cable for the lights, I need to add another for the plow control. Going to switch to #2 power cables with Anderson connectors eventually.