1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone running Goodyear Silent Armor?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kah68, Nov 10, 2007.

1. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Just wondering if the Wrangler S/A tires are a good plow tire, not priced too bad, let me know what you think, those of you who own them.

2. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

i got a quote on them last year..... like $800. They look sweet, kevlar in them. However, they were too spendy for me and I went with bridgestone dueler a/t.

If it wasnt for the cost, id go with them.
  3. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Im up for a new set of meats and am looking at them but will probably go with the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO series.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Getting another set?

But he didn't ask what you were doing he asked.
    "Just wondering if the Wrangler S/A tires are a good plow tire, not priced too bad, let me know what you think, those of you who own them"
  5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

dang snofarmer that's mean, LOL be nice to KillSwitch

see i was looking to learn about the silent armor too but........since i did'nt have any.....well you know

any one that HAS a set i am awaiting a review also

i know it's off subject sorry SNOFARMER;) i hate to agree with snowpower but if no reviews on the silent armour i'll too buy the BF.G A/T
  6. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

The B.F.G's are WAY more than the Goodyears, thats why I want to know if anyone is running them. Thanks Sno Farmer!
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  7. mud

mud Senior Member

No personal experience with them however I was thinking about them for a bit when I was looking at new tires. I asked a guy that I work with that uses them on his 250 with a boss eight footer that he plows just his own drive with.

At first he said that he liked the tires, decent traction and they were quiet on the road. However after about two years (it is a 17 mile drive to work for him) they started cupping pretty badly and are now anything but quiet.

I went with bfg's after talking to him and it seems like he might be going to them when he replaces the skins again this month as well. Either that or the steeltex tires that came on it from the factory. He got 70,000 out of them before replacing them with the goodyears.

Again this is just second hand info form a guy that I work with but I do remember when he put them on and I have seen the condition that the tires are in now. Could just be a bad set though to.

On a side note. I am now on about the fifth or sixth set of bfg's that I have owned over the years. Had them on every thing from a zr2 s-10 up to my one ton dodge plow truck, and a few half ton's thrown in as well. I have always liked the tires as they have provided good tread wear and good traction.
  8. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Here they are about 20 dollars more per tire. I'm sure the Goodyear is a fine tire for the price. I think there are some reviews at www.discounttire.com
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A no response for the silent armo'sr speaks volumes.
    A no response would be a no vote I would think.:confused:
    :eek: Be nice to LLm I mean Killswitch aka snowpower??

I guess I forgot the smilies in my first post:confused:

I to would recommend the BFG's a/t Ko's over the silent armor's.

10. jbone

jbone Senior Member

While I dont have any personal experience with them, a friend of mine has. He loved the traction. He had to have them replaced under warranty. He bought them about this time last year. Very quiet tire. The only thing about his first set was supposedly goodyear changed the design to have much deeper treads than the first production ones so maybe that was the problem. All in all they are happy with them, and I may be picking up a set this winter for myself.
  11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

my buddy has them on his 2002 duramax and 90% of the miles are towing miles towing a enclosed trailer with 2 jeeps in it. they are heavy duty and are lasting a long time.
  12. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I was going to get a set but opted for Toyo Open Country A/T's Load E. I think I made a wise decision. I don't like anything BF Goodrich, JMO.
  13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Don't get these tires! I had a set put on my Dodge about 6 weeks ago. I brought them back two days later. My MPG went down about 3 mpg according to overhead and they handled like dog crap. The truck drifted all over the place and felt very unstable. I returned them and got a set of Dunlop Rovers, stock side and E load rated, 60k warranty. Very happy with them and my MPG is back to normal. Not worth the money and I will never buy another Good Year truck tire.:gunsfiring:
  14. Ryan03

Ryan03 Junior Member

I had a set of silent armor 265s put on my 2500 duramax about 5 weeks ago. The first thing that I noticed was that they were very wiggly on the freeway, almost like a four wheeler with a new set of knobby tires on asphalt, I checked the air pressure, and it was at 80 psi, which was causing the center two lugs on all the tires to bear all the weight of the truck, The tread sipes on the silent armors are the same depth as the tread, not 1/3 the depth as with many other load range e tires, this combined with the relatively soft rubber compound made for a very unstable ride. I lowered the tire pressure to 50 psi front and 47 rear and it was like driving on a different set of tires, stable, predictable, like its on rails. MPG is about the same as I got with Steeltex AT Firestones. My only real complaint is that I had to take the truck back to sears 5 times in the first 3 weeks because it had a out of round tire on the back {defective} They kept blowing me off until I went postal the 5th time. Got the left rear replaced under warranty and life has been good ever since. Dry handling= excellent, wet=excellent, noise=minimal but not silent, wear =2k, nothing noticeable yet, snow, we will see, hopefully soon.:)
  15. biga

biga Junior Member

i've had them for a little over a year and have had no problems. they did great last winter plowing. and i've had them on the highway at 85mph and they seemed very stable to me. they are the 285 16 on a f-250
  16. Birneyj

Birneyj Junior Member

Dont do it.....

These tires byte...

They are great when towing, but when empty they feel like you are going to lose control of the truck. I sold them a week after putting them on