1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone running compact tractors?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by quad cities, Jan 20, 2016.

1. quad cities

quad cities Junior Member

HI guys new to the forum but definitely not snowplowing anyway. Picked up a lot of small lots and drives where my truck doesn't fit very well, to much time finding a place to turn around some are a block away to get turned around. Thinking compact tractor with cab and loader and maybe 6 foot straight blade on back. Planing on using this for dirt work grading mulching in summer, and no I don't want a skid had one for 15 years it sat more than anything.
    working western Illinois downsized to 2005 ram 1500 hd, hiniker plow 8ft, salt dogg spreader, mtd snowblower,
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I'm just a personal plower. Started out with compact tractors, then plow on my truck along with a heated skid. Still have the tractor for summer use ( and as a back up innthe winter), but haven't used it gor snow in years. Is too cold and too slow.

You say you don't want a skid because it would sit around. I don't understand that, since you would be using it for whatever work you're planning to use the tractor for.

If it were me, I'd lean towards a skid, as they are faster and more versatile. If you have one with a cab, even better.

My neighbor used to use a skid back when I was using the tractor. He'd be flying around three times as fast as me while I was chugging down the driveway with my tractor. I plow him now with my truck tho.
  3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

We have a Kubota L39 TLB.. it would handle a 8 foot Box NP!! If I had a cab, it would be pushen!! Tho without the 1600lbs backhoe hanging off it, it wouldnt be so good... and the versitility is amazing nearly 11 foot dig depth and 3pth, quick attach front.. it's been a great machine for 10yrs
  4. PHS79

PHS79 Member

My dad has a Kubota L3640 with cab. In the winter he has a 84" snow bucket and 84" blower on the rear and in the summer he runs a 6' belly mower and will put on his 84" offset brushhog. The tractor moves snow very well and is very easy on fuel. It does have a much tighter turning radius than a pickup, and in deep snow or a big wind row from a city or county truck the blower is worth its weight in gold. But it does have some limitations.

Dad sold his Bobcat S250 and Kubota BX2230 and bought the L3640 because he had just sold his trucking/dirtwork business to semi-retire and wanted to consolidate equipment.

I can tell you from personal experience that on the same driveway and parking lot with the same 84" bucket the S250 vs L3640, the S250 was by far faster I would almost guess its twice as fast. The lift arms on the Bobcat move faster, its more maneuverable, and lift height is 2ft more than the tractor so than means more stacking ability.

I know you said that you were not interested in a Bobcat, but me personally experience putting lots of hours on both I would take a Bobcat any day of the week over a compact tractor.

Just $0.02
  5. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

maybe a bobcat tool cat?
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

What's a Ram 1500 HD? Never heard that one before.
  7. quad cities

Thanks for the input.
  8. mr.lawn works

mr.lawn works Member

Compact tractor with Normand inverted blower an blade attachment!
    There is a couple in used equipment forum for sale guy is from The Dakotas
  9. ABC Plow

ABC Plow Member

I have a jd 3520 that I use. Tops out at about 16 mph but as long as you have a tight rout it's 3 times as fast as a truck. But I'm thinking about getting a 68" Normand for next winter.

10. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

How well do the turf tires work on snow and ice?
  11. ABC Plow

ABC Plow Member

The turf tires are great. Always have lots of traction, even with a full blade of snow and the blower down. My tires are not loaded with weight but I've been thinking about doing that. And the back blade is the only weight on the back of the tractor. Tire chains would help sometimes but I've never needed them.
  12. quad cities

that's a nice setup. turf tires nice for the existing yard without tearing it up when getting to the back yard where homeowner needs the work done. garden/landscaping done
  13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

We run 6 compact jd tractors. A 3046R, two 4520's, two 4720's, and a 4066r.
    We have a mix of 68", 74", and 80" inverted blowers on them, and they all work awesome.

Fargo Snow Cover.jpg

Fargo Snow Cover.jpg
  14. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Nice set up! What do those tractors do the rest of the year? I want to get one for snow but don't know how hard they would be to keep busy the rest of the year??
  15. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I am not speaking for Image but will ask the question; what does all the landscape equipment - mowers, blowers, harley rakes, rock hounds, hydro mulch spayers, trailers and etc. do during the winter?
  16. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Valid point but I'm sure there are uses for a 40000$ peice of equipment all year long.
  17. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

They mostly sit parked all summer. 5 of them will sit all summer, and one of them will get 30-40 hours and that's about it. I use one around my yard at home. I keep a couple acres brush hogged down next to the shop with a 3pt mower, and I spray the weeds in my lawn and a couple friends lawns during the summer, but that's about it.

I have one for sale if you're interested. 2013 Normand E68 Inverted Blower with backblade. Text me at 701-212-7420 if you want to chat about it.

Normand E68.jpg
  19. ABC Plow

ABC Plow Member

I'm pretty sure I saw that on Craigslist. I ended up buying one from wolf Kubota in Grand Rapids. Got a good deal at $5100. If you weren't a 13 hour drive I would have bought yours. They are impressive blowers from the little I have used it. Have you been getting any storms over there?
  20. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

What is the benefit of inverted, just not having to back up or other benefits as well?