1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone running a d rated bfg tire instead of the e on f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 1fast432, Oct 18, 2009.

1. 1fast432

1fast432 Member

Found a smoking deal on some ford aluminum rims and bfg 265/75/16 lt tires but they are load range d instead of e. Came off a f350 crew cab. Guy went with a shorter tire rim combo to make it fit in his garage. Would you use these on a plow truck?THANKS

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's the load capacity?

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I have 3 E rated tires on my dads truck and 1 D rated BFG All terrain... You can tell the difference right away... The D rated shows the weight as soon as you load it up where as the E's still look good... If you dont work your truck it'll be fine, but if you plan on working it the E's are deffentially worth it IMO

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i would not put anything but an e on there. what kinda plow u hanging. i think d's are like 2895 a tire. e's are 3195lbs a tire. ever heard the saying a little extra goes a long way!?!?

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I had bfgoodrich a/t's on my truck that were d range. with a 8ft fisher on the front. they were fine. I have d range bfgoodrich a/t's on my 350 with a dump insert and they are great haha. I recommend them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I run 285/75/16 on my f250 and they are load range d because they dont come in an e load range and never had a problem plowing or towing the race car trailer.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I had 285/75/16 on my old truck...it was an F250, they seemed to be a good fit.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's funny. Guys just look at the load range, not the actual weight capacity. As the tire gets wider, the weight capacity for a given load range increases.

A little data from the BFG site, for the ATs on a 16" rim
    Load Range D tires
    Size-Weight Cap
    245-2535
    255-2689
    265-2835
    275-3000
    285-3305

Load Range E tires
    Size-Weight Cap
    245-3042
    255-n/a
    265-3415
    275-n/a
    285-3750

9. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I had D rated with my 2004 F250 with the diesel and the 9' 2" Vee. Lets just say you could tell they were weighted. Wouldn't really recommend doing it for commercial plowing. To much strain on my front end. I have E rated on the F350 now, Major difference!!!

10. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I had the BFG A/T's ona truck a few years back, and believe me they could be Load Range A and they'd still be squared off, soemthing about those sidewalls that are just......different,lol. They are ina world of their own, but I def agree that 10 ply's are the way to go, big difference in how well they hold the weight and how well they hold up with the weight.

11. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

My dads runs them never a problem scence 2000

[​IMG]

12. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

I agree, I have a set of BFG ATKO's I run on my truck (315/70/17 load range D) and I have never had a wear issue, or had my tires look like they were stressing under the weight...still have PLENTY of tread on them, I also just bought a set of DuraTracs (same size and range) and Ive had my plow on an looked at the tires...looked good...you'll be fine!

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

D's should be fine if your not hauling heavy loads all the time. My 1 ton dump has D rated tires on it, and my F250 has E rated. I think you add up the weight carrying capacity of all the tires, then add the weight of the truck and load your usually carrying, get a total and see if its over the weight the tires can carry.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

the dump has 4 tires in the rear allowing you less weight per tire. Why the 250 has E and the dump has D range and they can handle it. The problem with lighter load range tires is the side wall. I've been told that the weight of the plow and the consistent load /unload pounding while transporting it will breakdown the side walls leading to other issues as time goes by.

15. andym1996

andym1996 Junior Member

I have 325/60R18's on my F350 - they only come in "D" rated. Put the 810 on yesterday and don't think its an issue. I added the capacity of the tires, and the GVW # is above 12,000 on the tires, and the truck has 12,000 plates on it - should be good!

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think the only difference would be sag from plow weight and "softness" of impact. Lot more give in the sidewalls. Could lead to a dented rim under heavy loaded work conditions.:confused:

I 'm not saying you're wrong, be nice to hear from a tire pro.:nod:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  17. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

Ive ran a set of E's on my 03 F350 Diesel, since Ive had my 06 F250 Ive only run D's because I have a lift and most larger tires arent available in E for the size I use...not one single issue...havent had premature wear on treads or anything...like already said here before, do the math, tires rated for more weght then your putting on them, you should never have a problem...I havent...

18. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

man.......i ran P rated tires on my trucks before....

19. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

Here in Michigan - a lot of the tire companys wont sell/cant get anything in the d load range any more. seams that a lot of tire manufactures have discontinued the use of the "d" load range.

20. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I just switched from 285 D's to E's and i can tell a huge difference. The truck is much more stable driving. A lot less side roll when manuvering in traffic. I ran D's for the last 5 years both BFG and Coopers and i will never go back to the D again.
    Here is what i am running Hankook Dynapro ATM