1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone running a 16 Ford yet

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I scraped the idea of using my skid steer in a larger lot we picked up this year, I would have had to put about 4k into it to make it 100% reliable for it being the main piece of equipment on that site, (new skid steer blade, snow tires with rims and a few lines) and I wasn't convinced it would do well enough so I ended up buying a 2016 F250 ext cab. Our other trucks are Fords and we've had good luck with the trucks but the service when we needed to has been ok, some times they can get me right in and sometimes not. This is an XL with every option but fog lights so basically an xlt with vinyl floors (which is a good thing). Has the 6.2L, all the bells and whistles, 3.73 electronic locking rear diff. and going to put either an xls or 9.6 XV2 blade on it. Just wonder if anyone is running them yet, mainly wondering about the 6.2L engine, the 5.4L are king of weak even with a tuner and cold air intake.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

So you didn't want to spend 4k on the skid steer, but you spent 45k on a new truck? You would have been better off with a low hr 30k skid steer no?

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have a 2011 F350 Lariat 6.2l; no issues. Set up to plow as a secondary truck with a 8.5' MVP with wings. Have only used it once though; felt like the plow wasn't even there. My primary plow is a 2006 F350 CC with the 5.4l with a tuner. Works just fine, but there's a huge difference in the power between the 5.4 and the 6.2. You'll love it; haven't had any issues with the 6.2 (about 72,000 miles)

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Without getting into the debate of why you bought a truck vs a new or used skid instead, that's your business decision and nothing more.

I've got a '15 regular cab with the exact same options. Sitting at just under 8K miles now. Love it, plenty of power grossed up to 21K so far with minimal issue. Done the initial service and other than that it's seen nothing as it should. Haven't pushed any snow with it yet, was new in May. Don't see it having any issues with a Boss v, Ebling back blade and Boss v box spreader.

Glad I made the jump to Ford from Dodge. Let it snow!

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Don't get any dents in the aluminum body. Not a fan of the aluminum bodies just because of repair costs (although insurance would cover them if you got hit obviously) Waiting to see how people like them though. I have only seen 1 new one. (I'm in TX for school currently)

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No major change from the 15.

2017's will be aluminum

7. WIPensFan

The 16's are aluminum aren't they? I thought they were.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, 17 is the big change..,..2016 will be a short run.

OP, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

9. WIPensFan

Ok, thanks

10. dycproperties

dycproperties Member

I have an 2011 and 2015 f250 and a 2016 f350 should be here this week they are all 6.2 and basically the same. They have the most power of any of our gas trucks and push snow very well. I have pulled heavy loads ( skid steer, excavator, travel trailer) with no complaints other than on the highway they like the fuel when towing heavy.

11. Brian Young

It was a tough decision for sure but this is going to be more versatile for us winter and summer. Believe me, I would have much rather spent the 4k and been done with it but can't tow a trailer with a skid or go from site to site in this situation.

12. WIPensFan

If it's better for you then that's a good thing. Good luck with the new truck.

13. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

2016 f550 6.7 here will be my first year with it. We'll see how it does. I special ordered it. Not sure how you could get all the xlt options. I tried to option out a xl to keep the vinyl floors and it wouldn't let me. Had to get the carpet with the options I wanted. I have a XLS set up for this truck.

14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You will be very happy. 16 is the same truck as the 15.

15. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like I might have to try and get a 2016 or leftover 15. I thought I saw one of the new aluminum ones, that was the only 2016 i saw so far. Was in some guys yard down here in TX. Man i can't wait to get home.:drinkup:

16. Brian Young

I was going to PM you to see how yours have been. I also can't wait to see this locking differential, it would be nice to plow in 2wd for a lot of places we do.

17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The diffs in both axles work very well, more or less posi already. But with it locked, it backs out of sticky over zealous pushes way better. Be careful, going forward with the anti slip traction thing disabled you will slip sideways in a hurry when locked in. I personally disable the traction anti slip first thing when I plow. I hate it.

18. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I disable my TC whenever there's snow on the road becsuse it csn be very annoying. If you have it on and turn off a main road onto a side road with a little snow pile at the end, the TC kicks it when you give it the gas to get thru it and basically kills the throttle.

19. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

You need to disable both TC and advanced TC, to do that, hold the button in longer

20. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have a 2011; the TSC button is on the dash under a vent. One push turns it all off.

Edit: you are correct. Holding it for 5 sec turns everything off (but automatically turns the advanced bsck on above 35 mph). Just turning it off in a quick push has always solved my issues tho. I'll have to try turning everything off once we get snow to see what difference it mskes

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015