1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Run A Cat 916 Loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Dstosh, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Looked at a used cat 916 Loader. '87 With 500 Hrs on rebuild ( or so it said )-$17,500

Anyone run one of these? What newer machines do they compare to?

What size pusher would work?

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i have a 79 cat 910, recent rebuilds on a engine and tranny, no creature comforts but it runs and pushes great, has a 10ft pusher right now, could probably handle a 12ft well, check ritchie specs to learn more about your machine

3. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

I've run a 916 I think it was a 94...nice machine good controls and good feel. Was using it for dirt work but plenty of power for snow, I agree at least a 10' would work.

First time I ran it I didn't know you had to pull the gas pedal up to kill the engine, first time I had seen that but it was a good loader.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

lmao, i had the same issue with the pedal, kept looking around for the kill switch, finally the guy who sold it to me climbs in the cab and shows me with a smug look on his face.

5. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

yeah that was a slightly humbling experience because I was doing the same thing and finally the property manager did the same thing...pulled up and and just grabbed the pedal and left me with a nice bruised ego haha

6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Don't feel bad boys. Just think about how many of these loaders are out there. I think most (if not all) older Cat loaders used to have this shut off. If you took all of the guys (and or gals) who have had that awkward experience, you could probably fill a couple of football stadiums and hold your therapy sessions.

7. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

Thanks DGODGR that does help put it in perspective lol!

8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Wasn't a CAT, but I did the same on a loader I used to own. Add me to your list! whud I win?

9. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

count me in- it happened on an old 627 pan- what a helpless feeling. sitting there with it idling after you've already turned the key to off. looking around the entire cab like WTF....LOL!!

10. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

800 series rubber tired dozer/knockdown machines had the same shut off as well. Probably anything that had an accelerator pedal (vs. decelerator pedal) worked that way.