1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone run 305 tires???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ommegang, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I do not like my BFG rugged trail 245/70/17 tires on my 08' F250 5.4L They suck in two wheel drive. Even with 2500lbs of salt. How do you get posi traction anyway, other than 4 wheel?

Anyway, I just got Mickey Thompson 305/65/17 Baja ATZ radials. I would like to know if anyone has tried wide tires in the snow. I was looking for 285s but, I believe the rims needed 305s. Or I got sold 305s, one of the two.

Thanks,

Lance

Picture 352.jpg

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I would not plow with nice rims like that. The tires would probably do okay but the salt and abuse will destroy those rimms. Find another set of stockers with good rubber and keep those nice for the summer.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Can't think of anyone I know running 305s at the moment, my friend is running 295s though and I'm running 285s. The 295s are cooper stt's on a psd f350 and he likes them for plowing.

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I ran 305s last year and hated them to wide so Im back with 285s this winter much better in the snow. And they are the same height tires 305s and 285s are a 32.8" tire just the 305s are wider.

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I plow with 325/60R18s Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grades :D

I don't have any issues, great in the snow.

They are wide though:

[​IMG]

6. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Not a Ford. but I had 305s on my dodge for the last 3 years. The sucked in the snow. Horrible. Cooper Discovery ATs. Even with about a half ton of weight in the back I still neeeded 4wd way too much.

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

IMO wide tires suck for plowing. With few exceptions in the U.S. we don't get enough snow to warrant wide tires for snow. Skinny tires will dig down to the ground where the traction is at. Durring summer I run the M/T ATZ's in 305 size and they are OK in summer but I was surprised how loud they are for a a/t tire. I run a 235/85 for plowig, I can plow in 2wd where wider tired trucks must use 4x4.

8. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

do you use that ford ? there is no plow mount on it ? in the pic

9. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Pic was from June, didn't decide to put a plow in this truck until October.

Tires have been on since the truck was new in April of 07.....traded in my stockers for a discount.

Here's a pic with the plow on it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed with my 315 75 16 last year they where they best I have plowed with so far!

11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ya but when ur pushing snow when u need the most traction Ur tires are not in deep snow. The wider footprint helps with more traction on a wet slippery surface. The wide tires worked great for me.

12. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Thats an interesting color, it looks baby blue, maybe its just the picture. Did you have it repainted or is it factory?

13. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Painted....truck was white from the factory.

All our trucks get painted as my dad (owner) likes light blue and started the company with the light blue 80 Chevy. We've had everything painted to match ever since with the exception of our two 99s as we got a darker blue (close to navy...since Ford always has a similar dark blue and would save on painting them) to try but he didn't like it.

The color on my 07 is "Light Stellar Blue Metallic" it's a GM color, always photographs light, but it pops pretty nice in the sunlight. Definitely gets a lot of looks.

Here's a better pic of the color with the flash on:
    [​IMG]

14. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I plow with 315/70/17 on my 06 f 250 also with a 4" lift. They are mickey thompson mtzs. Awesome in the snow. I am looking at the same tire but 37's right now. I will never run stock size/tread again. i have run pro comp all terrains, bfg all terrains, i would take mine all day long.

15. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Good info....I was debating the MTZ in a 305/70R18 for next time....a little skinnier that what I currently have, but taller and with a 3750lb load rating.
    Wasn't sure how they would be for plowing.

16. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I am running 285 bfgoodrich a/t on my 03 f250 5.4. the tires fill in the gaps in the wheel wells more.
    [​IMG]

17. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I recently replaced the junk BFG rugged trail tires on my F250. 285/70/17 Hankook RF10.
    Are working really well in the snow. And one of the few that makes a 10 ply in that size.

18. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

I'm considering buying 305/70R16 tires for my truck. Firestore Destination AT was recommended to me. Anyoen else like it for plowing and year round use? The tire store said 285/75R16 is what they would recommend, but i was cirious about the 305's and if anyoen has run them. i run a Blizzard 810 and keep about 1,000# in the bed too.
    Thanks

19. bosslover

bosslover Member

i am plowing with a set of 315 mtrs and i hate it the god dam tires suck in the snow and ice i hafta get something smaller and better in the snow go with a set of 285s and if u wanna wreck those rims and tires u might as well just sell them to me for my superduty lol definatly go with some thing smaller

20. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I think that I will try my new 305's toward the end of the season just be able to evaluate the difference for myself. Thus far, there seems to be varying opinions on the wider tires for plowing/snow driving. I purchased my 08' F250 soley for plowing our own investment properties and, subcontracting plowing, since I logged 150+ hours on an old GMC 1500 my first year plowing, 07' in WI. Another great year through December 08' here, 90 hours myself.
    FYI, the F250 with Blizzard 860SW was 0% for 5 years so, with $9000 from the first plow season, I figured that it was a good investement all around. Although, in retrospect, maybe a V-plow. The Blizzard only let me down once, blew an o-ring. It just seems like I'm driving a wider area with the wings than the v-plows on roads. Anyway, I now have these wide tires/nice rims, $1600 outlay, that will just sit around 1/2 a year. The truck doesn't get used much other than plowing so, I think that I at least need to try these tires while plowing. I didn't research plowing tires and just assumed that wider/aggressive tires would be better. I'll risk salt damage to the rims while taking all precautions. Either way, I should be able to give a qualified opinion for those interested, at a later date.

Thanks much for all who interjected!

Lance