1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone replaced a oil cooler on a 7.3?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fallcreek, Jul 18, 2010.

1. fallcreek

fallcreek Junior Member
    from TN

I get my oil checked every other oil change by Blackstone Labs. The report came back with a little higher sodium level in the oil. They stated that it was due to a possible coolant leak starting. And after asking around majority came back with oil cooler. The truck is an 03 with 160,000miles no problems until now.

2. jd3rdnoah

jd3rdnoah Junior Member

No big deal to fix. Just change the O rings. But I think the oil would be in the radiator over flow not coolant in the oil from the oil cooler. Think it might be something else.
    I'm sure someone that knows more than me will chime in.

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

its kinda a pain to replace, its not hard just a pain to get to. there are some big o-rings in there youll need when you split it apart but sounds like you have to buy a new cooler. the orings dont seperate the oil form coolant its the cooler that does.there are also 2 gaskets where the cooler bolts to the timing cover, and the cooler to the block, which may be your problem.

4. fallcreek

fallcreek Junior Member
    from TN

sno commander - yep I'm replacing the oil cooler with a new one

5. jd3rdnoah

jd3rdnoah Junior Member

Before you put the new coolent in give it a good flush out 3 or 4 time with a good degreeser or calgon dish soap. That will get all the oil out of the system.

6. fallcreek

fallcreek Junior Member
    from TN

good idea didn't think of it thanks

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

just to make sure you know when you buy a new cooler you still need to swap the ends from the old one, so make sure you get new o-rings.

8. fallcreek

fallcreek Junior Member
    from TN

plan on changing it this coming sat.