1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone replace motor on XLS (or XV)?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Feb 10, 2014.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I think the motor is bad on my XLS. Last storm it was having difficulty going up or angling with a full load of snow. I just got a clamp meter that reads up to 400A DC current and threw it on there. Put it to full angle left, then put around the positive battery cable at the battery. Spec says < 265 amps, and max reading shows overload on the meter, so I think its bad unless someone tells me I'm testing it wrong.

So, assuming for a minute that diagnosis is correct, how easy is it to swap the motor myself? I assume just pull off front/rear cover, remove solenoid etc and then what? Not sure how the motor is held in, and whether I should also plan to replace any seals and/or o-rings while I'm in there? I don't see any how-to's in the mechanics guide...

2. bcramblit

bcramblit Member

I've had to change mine on my XV. It's easy. Take the entire pump/motor assembly off the headgear and put it on the bench. It's a pretty easy swap.

Ever since I got it new my motor/pump slowly leaked fluid. I would just see it on my headgear a couple days after washing it while it sat in the shop. The third year its started dragging ass and acting up. After a while it got progressively worse till it melted the solenoid. So, I changed that and went back to the battlefield. I didn't lift my plow three time before it did it again. It melted the positive terminal off the solenoid both times. Called it quits and tore into it.

Well since Fisher had the bright idea to mount the motor under the pump it is very important that during assembly they didn't knick the o-ring that seals the pump shaft. Long story shorter. Fluid was leaking into my motor since day one and eventually the motor shorted out. I don't blame Fisher for that. Very minor mistake. I am a believer the XV is a superior plow from anything on the market. Only complaint is the childs play cutting edge they put on them. I'm sure they have a reason like the fact its a medium duty truck blade they sell for light duty trucks and the hundred pounds they save makes that possible. If I had to guess?

Not sure if that helps but let us know what you find out.
  3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

OK, thanks - just wanted to know if there was any specific R&R sequence needed or if it was pretty self explanatory once I took it off the truck and could look at it better. Have only replaced a motor on a SEHP before and that was a while ago... :rolleyes:

I also have a pump off an XV that was leaking mid-storm that I just replaced with a spare I had bought that may be suffering from a similar leak so I'll look into it!