1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone repair strobe power supplys

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by f250man, Oct 12, 2009.

1. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I am looking for someone to repair or take a look at my strobe power supply it is a 90 watt 6 outlet power box and only 3 outlets are working now. Thanks Steve
  2. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

how old is it? mfg brand? what happend prior to it going out?
  3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

the box says sp960 on it I bought it second hand so there was no real instructions with it. Thanks
  4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Theres not anyone on here that can help or steer me in the right direction. Thanks Steve
  5. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

help for power supply problem

It helps to know the manufactuer. I think it is a whelen number, not sure. The whelen 6 outlet/ 90 watt part number is csp690. Check this and let me know if that is what it looks like:

We use whelen and tomar on our tow trucks, and are a dealer for both compaines. Have had the best luck with those. Make sure that the problem is definately with the power supply, not a broken wire or bad connection somewhere along the line leading up to it. The snow/salt rots out the connections all the time on our trucks, especially on the amp style connectors, the deutsch style are a little more weather proof. Don't mean to state the obvious, but that's the most common problem I have run into, especially if none of the connections had dielectric grease on them when installed. That or a burnt out/busted tube. If it's not something obvious, may want to just pick up another one. The Whelen csp 690 retails for like 150 bucks give or take. Not really supposed to take 'em apart and fiddle with them, and you can get zapped hardcore when they fire if you don't completely diconnect and discharge it. In my opinion I would check all the obvious stuff, connections, power, ground, input, etc, etc, and if you still can't get it to work just pick up another one. I know spending dough sucks, but that is your easiest and safest option. We almost lost a wrecker to a bad strobe short fire. Hope that helps a little.
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Well definitely not a whelen supply. And all the strobe lights still work when I plug them into the outlets that work just 3 outlets are dead. I also took it apart and looks like one of the power inverters is fried dont know if I can have someone take it out and soldier a new one in if that will work.
  7. Ketch

Ketch Member

Post some pictures of the old unit if you can. That'd help!
  8. WreckerNut

WreckerNut Junior Member

Just buy the whelen they work great and don't cost a ton
  9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Here is the power supply. I took it apart and the center transformer looks burned up. Looking for a place to buy parts to fix it.

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 011.jpg
  10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

looks like an old whelen to me f250....is there a serial number on it?
  11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

See I was going to say it was from NOVA electronics. You might want to be CAREFUL. They generate a nasty up voltage which can put you on your tail.