1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone remove there cat?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by gotsnow?, Jan 20, 2010.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Has anyone removed the catalytic converter and replaced it w/ a Y pipe on their 94 1500 (or similar truck)? Mines a 94 w/ the 5.9L v8. Of course this would mean drilling and tapping a holw to mount the O2 sensor in.

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Just remember that removing the cat on your vehicle COULD result in like a $10,000 federal fine. I've never personally heard of anyone getting the fine, but it might not be worth the chance.

3. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

If you remove the Cat the truck will not run right with out buying a programmer of some type. The O2 sensors monitor the change of the Cat with out the change the O2 sensor will make the truck run lean or rich and lack power.

4. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

i'm not quite sure what you are trying to say near the middle to the end of your statment.... my truck already doesnt run right because there are exhaust leaks right before and right after my current cat. my O2 sensor is brand new too, if that will make a difference. Also, I plan to continue running my muffler, so I'll still have back pressure.

5. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

I'm not sure how anyone but my exhaust shop would know I removed it, no emissions tests in Indiana. I suppose if I sold it to someone from another state they might get screwed though...

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Keep the cat!!! Having the cat removed only ads to the richness the engine will run. Sure it might have a richer sound but the fumes will be anoying. If you have a rear sliding window you will smell a huge difference.

7. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

understood on running richer, however it'll cost easily $250 or more to replace the exsisting cat. Only around 125 to get a Y and the additional 2.5" pipe to replace from the manifolds back to just ifo the muffler. I understand I will lose a little fuel mileage, but w/ the current exhaust leaks ifo and after the cat now I might alreadt be losing that mileage. I can put up w/ a smell, I'm worried about if my truck will still run alright.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I honestly don't knwo how they'd catch you. I don't have emissions here on my diesel, but I left the cat on when I did my exhaust system for a just in case thing. Besides my cat is fine.

10. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

My brother in law, when he first got a dodge 5.9 he removed the muffler and cat, replaced it with flex pipe

11. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

And......?

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Look for the aftermarket one size fits all cats. Here in canada they are 80-150 max....Or try the scrap yard and find a clean and rust free y pipe and cat, my self factory pipes are the best fitting and lasting.

13. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

dont cut it out hollow it out thats what i did to my 1995 1500 it didnt throw any codes and it ran better had more power and got better gas milage but there worth money so id cut it out but then you can see when you look down there that the cat is gone and then you can get a fine

but ya id do it its old enough to not really hurt any thing my new truck forget it there is all kinds of sensors going in it but the old cars and trucks that i had i never had a cat on them id buy the car or truck and cut the cat off and weld up a new pipe trust me no emissions its worth it but if you sell it you need to tell them that the cat is gone or just say wont pass emissions and you would be fine

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You can get a universal fit converter from Summit Racing for under $70 shipped.

15. 99dodgeramsport

99dodgeramsport Junior Member

I took mine off my 99 with a 5.2 and it gets better mileage and never threw a code yet, but it does seriously lack power so maybe I'll look into that

16. LBZ_Dan

LBZ_Dan Junior Member

You should have no problems with removing the converter. I used to have a 94 Dakota with a 5.2 with a custom exhaust. It had shorty headers, custom made y pipe(larger dia.), and a custom built 3" exhaust. The truck ran great, no codes, and a good increase in power(.5 sec faster 1/4 mile times). Can't say about fuel economy becasue I never could keep my foot out of it!

17. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at doing the same thing on my truck (in my sig). I just don't know if I want to replace the cat yet or just even hollow it out, The mileage is already bad so 1-2mpg more or less doesnt really phase me. I'm more concerned with not having the cat and messing something up or throwing codes left and right.

18. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

But not on the Diesels? The older rams did not have cats. Hollow the cat out and take it to a metal collector and get some $$$ for the stuff inside of it. They had issues in Montreal I think people stealing them out from under cars.

19. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

If you are removing a cat on a OBD 2 vehicle you will have issues. The engine management system need to see a difference between pre and post cat o2's readings. By removing the cat you will have a check engine light and possibly a lean condition as the factory tollerance is only about 20% + - from stock for fuel delivery/enrichment. They use to sell a O2 sim that you plugged in the rear O2 to give the ecm a false reading. A tuner might have the ability to fool it. In IL they no longer test vehicles that are over 10 years old so a 98 and older will not have to test any more. The 99 will have 1 last test still.

20. DAFFMOBILEWASH

My 93 W350 had two of them!!! One for each bank!!! The newer diesels have them on 06 and up Dodges I think.

I still can't figure out why people always think removing the cats will give them such a HP increase. Keep the cats and change the cams. If it is the noise factor remove the mufflers and keep the cats. The enviroment will love you!!