1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone put strobe lights in intensifier lights?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pipelayer, Oct 4, 2015.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

looking to put strobe lights into my intensifiers, i did it last year with a set of sealed beam meyer lights, if anyone has done it, how has it sealed.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why? Putting strobes in your plow lights would just equal blinding.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i was thinking about doing the same .let me know how it goes

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

The blinking is going to bounce off the plow when your plowing.Basically your going to have to wire a system that comes off the truck that can be plugged in when the plow is being used.Save yourself the time and money and put a roof light on so people in front and behind you know your plowing

5. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

for all the people who say its blinding and whatnot, i had this setup in a set of meyer lights, the same as the old curtis lights with the blinker that wraps the corner.. it wasnt blinding, but i got tired of people in storm thinking a small car was up the road and cutting me off, and i also liked the hideaways in the plow lights, it went well with my other 4. i havent attempted this yet as ive got other things on my plate to get ready for the season.

6. dieselss

How are drivers thinking your a small car, IF you have regular strobes on?

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I am dumbfounded by that statement

If they are too stupid to see 81000 pound piece of steel hanging off your front bumper they deserve to be smashed

To answer your question they can be done successfully I've done a few sets already. I'd rather not them myself.

8. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

it is a statement youd probably have to do a double take if you heard it said out loud. but in a pitch black snow storm and not too many streetlights, youd be hard pressed not to get cut off by some d-bag around here. and im going to attempt them the weekend after next when my edges come in and i get my whole plow setup and ready

9. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

cant see the front hideaways with the plow up..

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

1 inch hole saw, one tube of clear OSI Quad. Both available at Home depot. Drill/notch the outer covers and run ur wires. Be sure and use weather pack connections.

I wouldn't use strobe, I would use a LED.

11. dieselss

Why not just add a strobe to the roof?
    360 degree and safer.

So a pitch black snowstorm WONT reflect any flashing lights at all? Or just the ones in the plow lights?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  12. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

exactly my plan. same as how i installed them in a corner light. and i dont want a roof mounted beacon, if i did i wouldve just put one on..

13. dieselss

Cause the easiest solution isn't the? Never mind it'll just got over your head.

14. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

i know its the easiest bud. take it easy. i dont want a roof mounted beacon, this is what id like to do to the truck, i was just wondering if anyone had problems with sealing the lights, as i know the early ones usually didnt seal well from the factory.

15. dieselss

So high mounted 360° caution light is totally out of the question b/c why again?

16. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

because your name isnt on the title of the truck.

17. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

In my mind, Strobes/LED's in the headlights reflect off the back of plow pretty bad. In the plow lights, it shouldn't be as bad as the truck headlights. Its a good idea, but if it was me I would just stick some Grill lights on an L bracket either next to or under the headlight. That way you don't have to drill the headlight and risk having moisture get in.

18. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

This was what I did last year. Like you said, I wanted something up higher that can be seen when the plow is up. They are Feniex Apollo amber/white on a remote switch. And the 180* optics are great when pulling out of blind drives.

https://flic.kr/p/rbPSFM

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  19. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I did some on my first fleet flex I had. I installed the feniex Cannon as well and just powered them at the battery side of the solenoid and the ground lug. I mounted a toggle switch on the motor housing. I just turned them on at beginning of the storm. Some people wouldn't like that, but it kept it all on the plow side.

20. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I would try just mounting them on the top of the headlight, I wouldnt want to drill into my plow lights, just because of the moisture issues it could cause.

Also not a fan of white, technically I don't think its even legal in MA for private vehicles. I know police/fire aren't even supposed to use it (especially facing forward) since it could blind people. Which surprises me when cops forget to turn off their flashing takedown lights.