1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone put brighter bulbs in MD75

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by BD1, Dec 10, 2013.

1. BD1

BD1 Member

If so what bulb & part number

Thanks

2. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

I would suggest checking where they are aimed before you go replacing bulbs.

I had an MD and currently an HD and once I got the aim right they are just as good as the truck lights.

I got my plow(s) from the same dealer you did, they tend not to aim the lights and not tell you. My new HD was lighting up the trees 15' in the air, until I fixed it.

Look in your owners manual for the aiming instructions and check that first.

3. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Yes, what he said.

The low beam bulbs are H7's - but aiming is far more important, and is not often not done by the installer.

4. BD1

BD1 Member

How do u adjust them? Do u use the bolts under the lights to shine up or down? Any videos out there on this?

Thanks

5. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

You loosen the studs on the bottom of the light, you can then move the light up down left right. Here is a video by BOSS PLOWS.....mind you different plow but the concept for aiming is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=DK_DWuZwohM

6. BD1

BD1 Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  7. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

That was the video I used when I aimed mine. Makes a night and day difference having you headlights aimed correctly.

8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Is there any way to adjust the bulbs individually ? When my low beam is in a normal vision, my high beam is up in the trees, totally useless. When I adjust the lights with the high beam so it matches a normal useful high beam, then the low beam shines 10' in front of the plow, useless to see by.

9. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

I am currently in the process of testing some HID bulbs in my MD75, ill report back when I have finished :nod:

10. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

I have the same problem with mine. I don't think they're individually adjustable. I just use low beam most of the time.

11. gene gls

Thanks for replying. I didn't think I was the "only one" with this problem. I don't quit understand how others can be satisfied with the big variation between the low and high beam. May be there was some defective assembly's that Snow Dogg doesn't want to recognize happening or they just didn't know about. I would like to meet someone in my area with a new Snow Dogg to compare the lights. I would be willing to buy a new set of lights just to eliminate my frustration but not before I know the new set was a good set.

12. BD1

BD1 Member

I maybe confused when setting the lights up with the plow up, because then when your plowing at night the lights are too high when plowing? Think u would try and get a happy medium up & down.

13. gene gls

By having your plow raised when setting your lights, it will be at the proper height when driving down the road. If you set the lights with the plow down, then they will be too low when driving on the road.

14. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I've honestly never had anyone complain about a variation between low and high beams. That's pretty well fixed by the reflector geometry, which was tested to the relevant standards back when the light was developed.

I couldn't rule out the possibility of a defective light, but I've just never heard of it. I've spent hours behind about 12 different SnowDogg's over the last 6 years, and have never noticed the brights in the trees.

Next time I'm out I'll see how it compares to the truck high/low beams.

15. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

For the record, the aiming instructions are in the owner's manual - not too difficult - you just need to find a nice wall to point your truck at in the dark.

16. gene gls

You would definitely notice it when you go to high beam. The dealer I bought from is out of business, next closest dealer is an hour away. What's the price of a new light set for the MD75?

17. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

Honestly I have the same issue. The low beam is just fine so I never use high beam.

18. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

Can you posta pic of your plow with the hids im gonna be putting some in mine when I get it

19. nicks_xj

nicks_xj Senior Member

Can you posta pic of your plow with the hids im gonna be putting some in mine when I get it