1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone put a plow on an Avalanche 1500?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jab862, Dec 4, 2003.

1. jab862

jab862 Junior Member

I am looking into a new Avalanche and I would like to put a plow on it for just a few driveways, anyone have one and had a chance to use it? I know it isn't rated for one but neither is my extended cab 1500 Silverado and it works fine for me.
  2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

be carefull i could be wrong but i dont think those have full frames look into it if not DO NOT PUT A PLOW ON IT
  3. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

If you check the Fisher website they list the Avalanche. The one thing I remember though is that you have to throw almost 1000 pounds of the ballast in the back.
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Same frame as any other gm 1500. Have put several westerns on avalanches. no problems with them yet.
  5. jab862

jab862 Junior Member

Crash935, have you put them on 1500's or 2500's?
  6. Crash935

put them on both. Western selection guide for unimount says 7.2 lsx is the largest for a 1500, 8' pro poly for a 2500. Dont have an ultra mount selection guide right now, but i think the only thing avaliable is a 7.5 standard steel. A set of timbrens is a good idea also.
  7. jab862

jab862 Junior Member

Besides the timbrens for the 1500 do you recommend anything else? Do you leave the air bags hooked up? I did on my 1500 extended and have had no problems but I really don't plow much. I have had some tell me the air bags will go off but I find that hard to believe. I am going with what I have untill spring then want to get a new 1500 Avalanche and new blade. The one dealer in my area willing to put on a plow is the Blizzard guy nobody else. What do you guys think and the Blizzard? I take that back "I think", it might have been the Boss dealer.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  8. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

yes i was wrong i admit it i will do that but i checked on it today and they do have full frames i must have been thinking about something else sorry for the wrong and confusing info
  9. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

There's a guy running around town with a brand new 1500 Avalanche with a Blizzard plow. Haven't seen the blade on it yet, just had the light bracket.
  10. Crash935

The old air bag line, No the air bags wont go off and you dont need to turn them off. in fact, if you turn them off by the switch in the dash you only turn off the passengers side bag.

We wont go into the which ones better argument, it comes down to perefrence and what you want to do with the blade. I can tell you that the western ultra mount is probably the least intrusive when it comes to having to cut or remove the lower plastic portion of the bumper on the avalance and also allows you to keep your ground clearance with the receiver pockets removed.
  11. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I have a 1500 avalanche with a sno-way plow. My blizzard dealer around here said that it was to heavy but now i found out you can put on a 7.5' LT. Either plow is good. You might like the sno-way for the down pressure. It helps alot. Also the Sno-way is a lot loghter than the blizzard.
  12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

BLIZZARD MAKES A 7'6" LT. Weighs 550 lbs.
    to fit your truck. Don't, repeat, Don't, put a 700 lb plus plow on it. timbrens or not.
  13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Avalanche is a truck that sits on a 1500 frame of there p/u line i thing a meyers or western 7,7.5 should be fine with weight in the back
  14. boogiedown40

boogiedown40 Junior Member

You should look into the 2500. You can get a snowplow prep package and you also get the 8.1 liter engine.
  15. avalancheplow

A 2500 would be good but, if your only doing small commercial and residential a 1500, I would prefer one with the off road package (Z71), will be more than enough.
  16. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

We have put BLIZZARD plows on both the the 1500 & 2500 Avalaches.

I have customer who has done extensive spring work to his 2500 and has a Blizzard 810 and an 8 foot rear plow.

Will post pics with his permission.

Look for them soon.
  17. jab862

jab862 Junior Member

1500 Avalanche

I can't afford the gas mileage of the 2500 and I just don't need something that heavy duty. I am only doing a small amount of driveways and etc.
  18. boogiedown40

boogiedown40 Junior Member

I think that avalancheplow has the right idea with the Z71 off road package. Good luck and let us know what you get.
  19. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

If you are only doing a couple accounts or small driveways you dont really need something heavy duty like a blizzard.You could probably find something like a sno-way thats lighter on the truck and will work just fine.
  20. avalancheplow

I got pics up of my avalanche 1500 with a Sno-Way up. Its in the pic forum under "avalanche 1500" :D :D :D