1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone push with a F Superduty 2wd?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by oldmankent, Feb 23, 2006.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Looking at getting a used F Superduty and putting a 10' plow on it, and possibly a sander. With traction in the rear seems it would be ok to plow streets and parking lots. Anyone have any pros or cons about plowing with this truck? thanks, Nick.
  2. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

350,450, 550?
  3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I don't think it really matters your not putting a 10ft on those trucks.I mean a real 10fter not well I found this 6.5 western and my grandma gave me all these empty coffee cans and i hammered them flat then i welded them on the sides and now [HEY LOOK GUYS A GOT A 10FT PLOW ON MY STATION WAGON :dizzy:] a medium duty plow is about 1800lbs
  4. oldmankent

The old body style Ford. It is equivalent to today's F 450. I'm thinking a snoway. It is not 1800 lbs. Would a 2wd truck be able to turn a plow that wide or would it just track in the direction the plow was angled? Pushing straight on main roads would not be a problem I think, but on residential roads at slower speeds and tighter turns I could see it having trouble.

97 F Superduty 2wd 7.3 diesel
    GVWR 15000
    FGAWR 5000
    RGAWR 11000
    5 spd
    4.30 limited slip axle
    regular cab, short wheelbase chassis cab
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  5. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Well then def. not You posted the front axle #5000,my 05 f350 pickup has a 6000lb front axle.That truck has the same same frame as a reg 350 old style ford.9ft blade is max and you def. need a sander for counter #.A sno-way is not made for plowing roads[If i remember it is 14500 gvw]Also it is only running 16 inch 10 ply rubber
  6. oldmankent

I've got more faith in a snoway then you do I guess. 10' 32 series is 750 lbs. The front end of that truck weighs less than my F250. Guarantee it. I think the axle can take the plow no problem. According to snoway's website, one of many of their plow applications for a 2000 F250 is a 32 series 10' blade. The FGAWR of that truck is 5200 lbs. I still think the 2wd F superduty can carry the weight, just don't know about turning with the plow full of snow.
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

the snoway will handle it aslong as it has a steel skin, HyZoid wont hold up to ice chunks commonly found along the road. good luck turking with a full 10' blade.... you might have to bump the blade up a little bit to put more weight to the wheels to make it turn but I would stck to strait pushes if it is a heavy accummulationprsport
  8. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

When you say F SUPER DUTY, does that refer to the early 90's Ford F-SuperDuty, which was what they called 1 tons back then?, or are you just saying superduties in general?

9. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Yes he's talking about a late 90's
  10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

used to drive an old f superduty with a 9' meyer and big 5 ton spreader. everything on this truck was beefed up and even with a bucket full of salt in the back it had no trouble
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Had a 88 F-350 dually with a 8.5 western that's still on the road. Carried a Hopper spreader on the back. It was 4 wheel drive but hardly used it. That blade is heavier then the 10 ft snoway.
    I know of 2 ten ft snoway's on 05 350 X frame 2wd Ford Dumps (closer to the truck your talking about) , 1 on a 04 4500 2wd chevy, 1 on a 98 3500HD (the old HD 34" frame,) and a couple on 2wd 450 fords. They seem to be surviving great. Most of them are Polycarbonate skins.
    Risking the Didactic, Lexen is made by GE, Hyzoid is made by Sheffield (not sure of spelling) they are both the same basic thing and have the tensile yield strength of an equivalent piece of steel. I have seen Polys with dents just like a piece of steel, and it has the added advantage of no rust.
    It should be a good truck for what you plan. Don't think Blade steer should be a problem anymore then in anything else. Good tires always help.