1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plowing with newer S10 ZR2.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by THEPLOWKING, Oct 5, 2001.

I currently have a 1993 S15 Jimmy with a snoway plow. I'm about to replace it with a 2001 S10 With the ZR2 offroad package. I went to the snoway dealer and his manual says no plow with the ZR2 offroad package. Although he has no idea why this is. Does anyone know why this is? I know I have seen ZR2's with plows around so it must be able to be done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

PLOW KING, One of the guys that comes to my bar has
    a 2000 S-10 xcab 4x4 with a western plow on it.
    I asked if he knew GM won't warranty if he breaks it.
    Sez he don't care anyway and will cross that bridge
    IF he comes to it..
    He uses it for his nearby rental properties and he
    didn't want a full size truck . He reports it works
    well for him..............Geo
  3. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I have a western plow that I retro-fitted from my older S-10 (93)blazer to my ZR-2(97).

It's a western uni-mount #61300

The only mod that I had to do was to the plow frame and that was to make it so I could get at the oil filter
    Depends on if the filter is up near the firewall or between the framerails if i remember right the '93 blazer was up near the firewall so that will be different on your new truck like mine was.

It's an easy fix took me about 10 minutes to cut it out and weld in a new piece on the plow frame.

I know that fisher also made plows for them but you have to find one that a dealer has in stock or left over.

After I believe 97, Chevy didn't want anyone putting plows on them anymore ,said they weren't built heavy enough.
    Strange that they had been putting them on since the early 80's.

The Zr-2 has the heavier suspension under it and is built for more abuse then the "normal" S-10's so i don't see why he say's not on a ZR-2:confused:

Dan G.

I just talked to another snoway dealer, he said the same thing. He called the distributor who told him that they don't make a plow for the ZR2 suspension, he didn't know why either, frusterating. It can only be two things in my mind. Either the frame is slightly different from a normal S10 and the mount won't fit or it sits to high off the ground and would put the plow on an angle. If the only reason is that it sits to high off the ground I would just put some P215 size tires on in the winter instead of the 31 inchers and be done. I just wish I could get some info.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I know that Meyer made mounts for both the regular and the zr-2 and that they were different. That was for a 97. I know this because a friend had to replace his mount after an accident and the Meyer dealer here ordered the wrong on the first time. Not sure about other dealers but maybe you could still find a Meyer setup.
  6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The ZR2 package uses many different suspension components to accomodate the wider track width. I believe they also use a lower spring rate to acheive more suspension travel. It might be that the difference between loaded (plow raised) and unloaded (plow lowered) might be so great that you would either be dragging the plow frame or have such a high mounting point as to be impractical. Other than that I'm not real sure I'd run a plow on a new style S series. I just don't think they have the gonads the earlier ones had. One option might be to see if the Sno-Way dealer might let you take a mounting frame and nosepiece to test fit on your truck. If it bolts up then you would have to decide if you want to deal with the possible warranty problems or not. As long as you mount it yourself there should be no reluctance from the dealer to selling you the parts. All you should need is the corect mounting frame for your new truck as the nosepiece off your 93 will be the same. Are you transferring the plow or buying a new plow as well?

One of my regular drivers uses a ZR2 to plow with. He had a sno way installed at a registered SnoWay dealer in Illinois. They had to cut the ground affects off under the front bumper and part of the existing bumper mount. He also experienced the tires rubbing on the inside of the wheel wells and the remedy for that was to crank up the torsion bars 5 complete turns with the adjusting bolt. It worked great !

Triton Snow REmoval
    Woodtock, Illinois
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think that is what Alan was talkng about with the softer suspension. You could add a stiffer bar instead of torquing that one with a lot of preload. If one does not care about warranty then this may be a way to go. With the current removable plows it can often be pretty easy to customize a vehicle mount to work. I just finished doing this to mount a Fisher LD 7'6" onto a Toyota Tundra for a friend of mine.
  9. plowinzr2

plowinzr2 Senior Member

yea ive got an 03 ZR2 with a 6'9 Fisher looks great truck doesnt seem to struggle carrying it, unfourtunatley we havent gotten any snow so i havent gotten to try it yet but ill let u know
  10. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I've got a 2000 ZR2 with a 6.5 western, I fabbed the mount out of a jeep cherokee mount, works perfect. As for the suspension, the front end will sag like hell with the plow on, but ballast and timbrens did the trick for me. The only problem with the timbrens is they make for a harsh ride.

Chevy didn't change the frame on the s-10 from 82(or when ever they started making them) until they started making the canyon and Colorado. Also, when they switched from TBI to fuel injection, the engines got more powerful, so i'd say that the 2nd generation S-10's are more ballsy.

Just my 2 cents

11. snowway1411

snowway1411 Junior Member
    from canada

search snowway zr2 and you will find some information on it, you must lower the standard mounting bracket 2 inchs the zr2 is fame is a little different.
  12. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

S10's and (ZR2) have all the same suspension parts except the center link is longer to make up for the wider wheel base.

The difference on the (ZR2) is the frame is about 2 inches wider and the upper and lower
    control arms are mounted in different locations allowing for the lift.

The off road package of the regular S10 (ZM6) had a oil filter relocator, it's against the driverside fender behind the headlight. On the (ZR2) the oil lines weren't long enought so instead of making longer hose's they put it above the skid plate, and added a door in the skid plate to axcess it.

The (ZR2) makes for a great little plow truck, if it sags to much crank the t-bars up a couple turns and add some ballast.

I hope that clears up a few things.

As far as Snoway not having a carton for the (ZR2) I wouldn't know.
    Maybee they didnt like the angle with the increased height or didnt want to make a wider carton for the ZR2.

13. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

The frame is different on the ZR2. As far as the engines go the first gen TBI was very weak, but the optional "W" code CPI (spider Injection) was rated as high as 205hp.

The second gens were rated 180hp on 2wd and 190hp on 4x4 which is 15hp lower then the first gen CPI "W" code.

But your right that the second gen engine is more powerful (IMO) as I think it has more torque.

14. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Lawns and More
    I think the fuel injected 4.3 is around 250 pounds of touqe, which has to be at least on par with the 5 liter engines of the late eighties.

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Good Information, people, but does anyone realize the thread is over FIVE years old?

I don't think his truck is under warrenty anymore :D

Ivan, do you mean that the front portion where the plow attaches is the same, or do they really use the whole same frame? How do you know this?
  16. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

plowinzr2 -- nice looking truck with that Fisher. I have always thought Fisher had the cleanest looking setups going. Best of luck