1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plowing with Homesteader or Suburbanite?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by snowfighter75, Feb 5, 2008.

1. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Looking at moving up to hydraulics from my snowbear to a Homesteader or Suburbanite 7'4" I would like to find out how they are standing up. If they are tuff as a little snowbear I'll be happy. I just want hydraulics and angle without getting out of my truck. Anyone plowing with one of these two plows please give me your input. Thanks!!

2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

go with Sno Way for the Down pressure

3. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

I have a homesteader that I've been using on my Trailblazer for 3 seasons now. I only maintain a handful of residential drives with it. It scrapes *very* well, no problem getting down to pavement. I do very little backdragging but it works OK with the blade locked down (versus float). I modified the jacks with casters on the bottom of them and then made some removable casters for the blade edge. It's light enough to wheel around anywhere and mounts quickly. The receivers come off in the spring with two pins each so there's no evidence that it even has a plow mount and I don't have anything hanging down to ram into any curbs for the summer months. I have no complaints.

4. snowfighter75

Thanks guys for the input this helps me out on the decision to buy one. As for the Sno-Way' No-Way! I'm not putting out an extra $2000 for the same size plow. I'm sure they are a very good plow but its not in my budget. Thanks guys!!

5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

so ur telling me the snoway is 5grand compared to the homesteder thats 3grand? cause if thats the case find another dealer

6. snowfighter75

Thats the price I was givin from the only dealer closest to me which is almost 300kms away. Any further than that is to far to go to buy and for service.

7. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

I went with the homesteader for this reason too. All hydralic, no chain so it holds itself down well. Scraped my driveway clean no problems. The fisher was 3000 vs. the sno-way dealer wantin' 4600. Couldn't justify spending the money either way ( realistically 'cause I do mine and help my neighbors out) but the jump was too much $$$$.

Plus, I knew it was an investment in NO SNOW this year... crazy weather!!

Hope this helps ya' out!!

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I installed a homesteader on my buddy's S10 pick-up this year, When I was installing it I really wasn't impressed with it's construction, After plowing three heavy storms with it, I'm impressed! it is very smooth the lock down feature worked very well when scraping, even backdragging work pretty well for such a light plow.

9. snowfighter75

My minds made up! I'm going with a suburbanite. Just off the phone with dealer and got a price of $3100. Installed $3400. I think thats fair. Suburbanite and Homesteader same plow just different color. Dealer wants $3500+ install of $450 for the Steader. I'm goin with the Burbanite for next winter. Thanks for the help guys!!

10. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Wow, your SnoWay dealer is a bit over priced!!!! At my dealer, 3400 would have gotten you a 22 series with down pressure & wireless!!! The 9'1" V that I just priced from them was 5200!! I don't blame you for goin "the other way", but too me even 3400 for a suburbanite is a bit pricey. Best of luck to you!

11. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

go with a snoway they are the quickest and easiest to hook up no chains ho hooking up hoses and no pins on 22 26 29 or 32 series just latches

12. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

what i dont believe that!

13. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

>go with a snoway they are the quickest and easiest to hook up no chains ho hooking up hoses and no pins on 22 26 29 or 32 series just latches

You might want to bone up on the other manufacturers offerings. They don't have chains or hoses to connect either and have just two spring loaded pins to attach the plow to the truck.

IIRC, I bought my Homie for around $2400 and installed it myself. But prices vary by region so as long as you shopped around and that's the best price, then that's the best you can do.

At the time, it was not recommended for my truck so no one would install it. They too charged around $300 to install and that's a deal I would have gladly accepted. It bascially took a weekend to build and install it. Congrats on the decision!

14. Ironwood

Ironwood Junior Member

true

Same here in MI. 3400 installed with dp & remote.

15. Clint

Clint Member

I've had my Suburbanite installed on my Jeep in Oct, we've got alot of snow, slush, and Ice here this winter in NH, and the Suburbanite has performed well. Back dragging is ok, but I'm not back dragging enough to pay the extra for a Sno-way which was about 1k more than my Suburbanite 3k installed.

16. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

suburbanite

have had mine for three winters now. I was and am very impressed with its performance for the size and price. be prepared for the trip bar to bend but mine bent once and has not gotten worse so i've left it alone. the plow is extremely light weight and adds little stress to the truck.

17. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Too bad you're WAY up in NS. I have a guy around me selling a BRAND NEW BLIZZARD SNOW PLOW, "680LT" for $1500 bucks.

18. F150dash

F150dash Member

Where did you find a dealer for the suburbanite? The closet I can find is in Dartmouth. I also saw that you contacted a snowway dealer. was that in Nova Scotia cause I can't find one around here.

19. snowfighter75

Yes it was Dartmouth and the sno-way dealer was Newfoundland which was the closest. I'm not goin with a sno-way anyway, too much money for what you are getting.

20. snowfighter75

Stevej, I looked into blizzard but they do not make mount for my truck. 2000 s10 4x4 ext. cab. But thats a great deal for someone for sure. they look like a desent plow.