1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Plowing With A New Powerwagon?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by plowguy43, Feb 21, 2010.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Found a great deal on an 06 Powerwagon and am thinking of jumping on it. I just wasn't sure if there are any issues of mounting a plow because of the Winch up front? I'm only going with a 8' Fisher but will probably run my 7.5' with wings until I find a good deal on an 8'er so the extra weight shouldn't be an issue.
    This truck seems like the perfect plow truck- 4.56 gears, selectable lockers front and rear. Thanks in advance.

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

dont all powerwagons have hemi's in them...

u better be makin good money just to put fuel in that thing :dizzy:

3. plowguy43

Any 3/4 ton gasser is going to be horrible on gas and 4.56's aren't that steep of gears with todays trannys.

4. jdo150

jdo150 Member

Ive seen two of them around here with plows on them so i say go for it

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

That's going to be a no go unless you drop the winch.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Can you explain why?

4:56 is rediculous. I have 4:10 and while it works great plowing, it's terrible on the highway. With the lightweight Hemi you should have no trouble holding the weight of the plow, even with the winch. Not sure how the winch mouts and how that would interfere with the plow mount. Maybe that's what the above poster meant?

7. DaySpring Services

I've researched it, the Weight of the winch with a plow is going to put you overweight on the front axle. Try searching it, it's been discussed here before.

8. plowguy43

I don't see it being overweight when you cinsider the cummins with plow would be heavier. This won't be used on the highway much, mostly through a very hilly area where the gears will actually help with both mileage and power. If you physically cannot mount the plow with the winch on I'd remove it for the winter.

9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

well dodge's link to the powerwagon was broken but the ram 2500's can hold 850 lbs
    http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2006/docs/dr/rsi.pdf

10. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Do it, I don't see it being a problem.

11. plowguy43

Neither do I- unless you physically can't mount the pushplates without removing the winch. I'm hopefully going to go look at it this weekend.

12. Stik208

I am sure there is a way around the winch if not take it out in November and put it back in April. Keep us posted and hopefully it is up to snuff for purchase.

13. Stik208

So..........?

14. plowguy43

Nothing yet had to plow this weekend!

15. DaySpring Services

Did you buy the truck? Keep us updated how it goes.

16. Rgory

Rgory Member

The gross vehicle weight ratings is under below 8800 pounds and therefore many plow manufacturers dont reccomend installing a plow. Couple that with the statement from Dodge's owners manual which states "no snowplow should be mounted to this vehicle" and I would begin to think about finding a different plow vehicle. If you did end up getting the power wagon you would definetly need to remove the winch before you mount up the plow.

I went through all of this when I was looking at and eventually bought my 06 power wagon. It is one hell of a truck.

17. Stik208

You go look at it? I get excited for people to get new vehicles.

18. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

What about mounting the winch on the rear?

19. plowguy43

Well just an update- the truck sold or went to auction because its not on their site anymore.

I did find 2 more Ram's- both 2500's, HEMI, and both Patriot Blue! I just test drove one of them and really loved it- I can't believe the difference in this tranny between the two engines/trucks. It acts completely different with the HEMI in front of it compared to my 4.7. I'm going this Saturday to Mass to test drive the 2nd truck and hopefully come home with it. I'll post up afterwards!

20. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Good luck. Are you looking at the one here at a dealer?