1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plowing with a jeep tj

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ripcurl2785, Nov 29, 2005.

1. ripcurl2785

ripcurl2785 Junior Member

Hi i have a 97 tj with a 4inch lift 33inch tires 4.0L and 4.55 gears. How well would my jeep plow? What plow would you recomend. What else should i do to my jeep to make it a better plow truck

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

A trip to Erie, PA to see Jerre Herre and a Blizzard 680LT. Since its lifted, it will need custom mounts. And Jerre is the blizzard install GOD.

www.jerres.com

A lot of people on here have driven 8 hours or more one way just to get Jerre to mount their plow.

3. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

I am with a YJ

4. jav1

jav1 Junior Member
    from MA

I plowed for years with a 1997 tj. I had 30"x10" tires and they were just OK when new and got progressively worst over time. The TJ's tight turning radius is great. Your setup will likely work OK but not great. The tire size will impact gearing - if its a standard, 4 wheel high will be tough on the clutch. 4 wheel low is fine going forward in 2nd but reverse is painfully slow.

Hope this helps.

BTW- I had a Fisher 6.5' speedcast 4 way which worked well enough. The only thing I can think of to make the Jeep a better plow vehicle is to lower it and get some tall narrow snow tires and add some weight to it (not easy- these things aren't that big inside)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  5. jonzer12

jonzer12 Member
    from Canada

Actually 4.55's with 33's is lower gearing than stock, you have more torque reaching the rear wheels. You jeep will plow fine with a ligh duty plow. There are many people plowing with manual transmission jeeps. Just takes some practice with the clutch.

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i see few people in my area have them they have them set with a 2 meter meyers blade or a 7 ft blade

7. addicted

addicted Senior Member

The only problem you'll have is the mounts.

Most people don't realize that a 4.0 wrangler has a better power to weight ratio than most pickups;)

8. garyand snow

garyand snow Junior Member

I have plowed for five years with a 1947 Willys CJ3. I enjoyed doing my drive, had a lot of fun but this year will use my Dodge Ram.

9. jonzer12

jonzer12 Member
    from Canada

I am a huge fan of Jeeps and the 4.0 but while your statement about the power to weight ratio may have been correct in the 1990's it is quite incorrect now. It's hard to buy a half ton now a days with less than 300hp. My ford pickup is stock and has dyno'd over 300 lb/ft to the rear wheels. Not to mention a TJ or Yy is not like a unibody XJ, they are pretty heavy for their size.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look in to rubicon mounts. Snoway offers a mount designed for the higher riding rubicon, should work better then the standard tj mount.

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

31 k for a rubi i would buy a chevy 3500

12. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

my tj has a 2.5" lift and 33's. if it were any higher i would need to modify the mounts i think. so you might have to do like it'sgottobegreen said you might have to do so. mine is also a manual and i have the stock 373 gears with the 33's and it works just fine. depending on the driveway I have used 4 hi and 4 lo. I slip the clutch as little as posible to be easy on it....so tight spots call for 4 lo but straights call for 4 hi. it will push plenty of snow as well and the shortwheel base and tight turning sure is nice!! i've never added any weight to it either!!

I bet if you had another set of tires that were 31x10.5 or smaller that you could use jsut for plowing you might not have to modify your mounts.....you would be the same height as me then. 1.5" more lift - 1.5" shorter tire = same

13. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Do the math. A TJ is about 3500 lbs with 190hp.
    a p/u is about 6000 lbs with 300 hp.

It's not a huge margin, but it's a margin. I'm talking basic trucks and engines here. wesport

14. addicted

addicted Senior Member

They make special mounts for the rubi now? Picture please!

15. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

If your in the businees to use your truck more then just snow plowing look at using a Pickup.

16. jonzer12

jonzer12 Member
    from Canada

Yes but a rubi with crawl right over your chevy, and it will fit down a snowmachine trail.
    Go test drive one, 4lo with both lockers lit and you will be sold.

17. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

A vehicle's power-to-weight ratio has no bearing on what kind of plow vehicle it will be. Mass/Traction and weight are EVERYTHING, power means NOTHING. The power to weight ratio of a 1 ton dump truck is laughable... but it will be unstoppable as a plow vehicle.

jp

18. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

A lot of opinions on here huh? You TJ will plow just fine. You can go with a 6.5 or 7 ft light duty and the thing will push snow like a champ, espeically if you have smaller parking lots or residentials. A lot of guys around here are running a set of the Firestone airbags in front to help keep things leveled out. TJ's are a sold platform, and if your using it for dual purpose, there's hands down not a mroe fun 4x4 to drive. TJ's, CJs's, and YJ's are an extremely common plow vehicle around here.

19. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

plowing with a jeep (I do)

I have been plowing with Jeeps for 20 years, I have plowed over 12,000 driveways. I currently have a 00 TJ with a 7 1/2 fisher HD plow You will need to add some weight to the rear (I have 500 lb) and possibly some help for the front springs. I added air shocks. The best thing you can do is get some true snow tires IE Blizzak's they are fantastic. for summer I have 33" tires with 4.56 gears also, for plowing I have 30" blizzak. The gearing is perfect!!
    :yow!: As far as power goes, it is torque that pushes snow! The jeep develops about 160/ftlb at 1,200 rpm. How much HP you get at 3000 rpm only tells you how much you can brake on the truck.

the-plowmeister

20. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Visit the Sno-Way thread and do a search on Jeeps. We have many customers running plows on TJ's.