1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plowing with 02'-09' 1500 short box??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by kah68, Nov 22, 2008.

1. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I am thinking a head for next year, wondering how a 1500 short box would do with a 7'6 plow, I know they were torsion bar fronts but are the later ones still torsion or did they switch back to coil. I would like the HEMI for the power as the older style (pre 02') we're a little underpowered. Any opinions?

2. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

Im putting a 7.6 snow dogg on my 05 ram quad cab I have the hemi for a engine the only thing that im concearned about is that i have 20 inch rims on the truck and Im wondering how those are going to handle plowing

3. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I had the same truck, an 03'. My advise, go get some 17" rims and but a good 10 ply winter tire on it with the same approx diameter. The stock tires suck a** is the snow. I had 20" BFG AT's on my truck but they were pretty wide so I think a skinny 17" true winter tire would work better.

4. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have had the truck past 3 winter i bought it new with the 20 s on it and i never had any problems going thru snow or anything like that but plowing might be a different srory

5. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

I just bought an 02 ram 1500 short box and installed a boss 7f 6 standard duty plow. Only had one session of plowing this year but everything seems to be fine. It is a little bit lighter of a truck I did notice that it is real easy to kick the back end out when theres rain or snow on the road so that might be annoying during big snowfalls. The plow does weigh the front end down quite a bit but otherwise everything seems to be smooth sailing. I didnt have to change tire size or even beef up the front end, everything is stock. I am not sure what size wheels I have to begin with but I'd bet they're 17's. I know one guy who has the same plow (3 yrs older tho) on an 00 or 02 dakota but I think he put some timbrens on the front of his, otherwise he said its never been a problem. I think its going to be a good truck for the amount I do. I dont see myself bidding on an HUGE walmart type jobs anytime soon, but its perfect for driveways and small commercial lots. Despite everybody I know telling me to buy a 3/4 ton, i dont see myself having any trouble with what I got. Just my 2 cents.

6. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

did you put any weight in the bed of the truck?

7. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

F.L.A.N. what kind of tires do you have? Are you running ballast and how much? Did you crank your Torsion bars? Do you have any pics?

8. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

The tires are Savero Gt Plus 17's, I've got 360 lbs (2 50 lb bags of salt and the rest is sand bags), did nothing with the torsion bars. Let me see if I can post a pic on here, otherwise I've got pics on Myspace. Or if you've got an email I can send you a couple pics of the truck w/wo the plow.http://myspace.com/bigdaddyboodt

9. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

10. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Nice set up, looks like an awesome driveway truck.

11. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Had an 03 1500 RC LB. With a 4.7 auto slt. Great truck treated it like a one ton. Had a 26 series SW on the front and a 8' 2yd SW salter on the rear.

Crank the tortion bars and add lots of rear spring. On the short box run a smaller snow ex bed salter and put it to work. I am strongly against MUD tires. They are great in the deep stuff and never will have an traction issue. Untill you are running down the road at 50MPH and jam on the brakes on light snow conditions. Too much surface area with no voids for good road traction in slippery conditions.

12. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Member

I run a 06 Ram 1500 Regualr Cab with the 8foot bed and 7'6" Boss Straight Blade. Used it the past 2 seasons and 3 plows this season and haven't had an issue yet. I plow 15 driveways and 2 large parking lots.