1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone plow with the new 6.2 gas engine yet?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sealer People, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to plow with their new ford's yet.

I'll be buying the f 250,extended cab, long box, snow package equipped, 6.2 gas engine.

Just wondering if theres any comments or things things I should look for.

2. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Anyone got some numbers for this? Curious if what Ford says is actually being seen in the real world?

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I've put about 3k on mine so far. Plowed 4 full events (plowing/salting) typically 8-10 hrs each event. many salt only events but those are really hard to calculate. Anyway, I have an 8611 plow on a F350 single cab 3.73 gears and always have a full skid of salt in the back. I'm seeing around 8-9 real world mpg plowing, traveling to jobsite, salting, back to shop. I'm overall happy with mine so far. Truck does a good amount of idling while I'm filling the salter, salting the walks, touching up walks, etc. I'm not one to just boast about a certain truck because I spent the money on it. I'd love to have the 6.7 but that's another thread. At the end of the day it gets the job done and I haven't been stopped yet by a full 8611 in scoop mode carrying snow to the end of a parking lot.

Oh and for day to day driving I'm getting about 14, maybe a touch more. Haven't done any highway traveling but I'd look for somewhere around 16-17 hwy. May find out this weekend.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. KingDuramax

Thanks. I was looking for MPG so I'm glad you put that. Trying to decide between the gas and diesel when I order in the spring/summer

5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I've got the 6.7 and my milage is almost the same as your 6.2. I get a little better while plowing, etc. at 10-11mpg. Highway at best was 20.5.
    I wish diesel was as cheap as gasoline though.:nono:

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I guess it depends on if you have the extra $9k to spend and what you're going to do with the truck. If you wait 'til spring you'll have the benefit of knowing any potential early problems with both motors. I didn't have the luxury of knowing as they were both relatively new designs. The 6.2 works for what I need it for and I couldn't justify the extra cost for a work truck. If the 6.7 proves to be the second coming of the 7.3 then I'll get one in a few years.

7. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

Do any of you guys have a ticking noise that seems to come from your fuel injectors on the 6.2? I have about 4500 miles on mine and i'm thinking of taking it to the dealer. It's loud enough to hear in the cab. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Is it like the chevy 6.0ltr tick? Haha, just what we ford owners need a truck that ticks like a chevy. Lol

All joking around, our dealership in town is plowing with the 6.2 and they say it has more power than the V10?

9. KingDuramax

It is very impressive I think its 385 Horsepower

10. sker crunch

sker crunch Junior Member

I have the exact truck you spec'd. We finally got our first snow last weekend for the first push of the year. My old truck was an 05 F250 V10 extended cab long box. The 2011 with the 6.2 gas did just as well as the 05 used to. Pushing a brand new 8.5 foot Boss VXT and it never lacked for power if that is what you want to know. I average 40% in town driving and 60% highway and I usually get around 12mpg with it. It just turned over to 10,000 miles last month.

11. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Update: Took a trip Thursday on the highway 500 miles roundtrip averaged...are you ready?...11 mpg at 78mph. Not too impressed. That was empty without tailgate...

12. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

i dont know much about the new motors, but all my experience with the older stuff says slow down and mileage goes up.

13. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I don't expect crazy mileage at 78mph but I did expect to see closer to 14mpg or so. I'm sure at 70 it would be better but who goes 70?...
    We did alot of heavy pushing the past 3 days and I'll say for power this 6.2 has as PLENTY!!! Had my 8611 in scoop mode carrying snow several hundred feet. Much of the snow was wet and slushing on the bottom layer making it very heavy. I'm extremely pleased with the power of the 6.2. Anyone questioning the power need not worry. I guess I'll have to take a trip at 70mph to compare fuel mileage though

14. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

2011 6.2l plowing gas mileage (mpg)

I have a 2011 F250 Lariat Crewcab with 6.2L gas engine and plow prep package, 6.5 foot bed, single rear wheel, a western pro plus plow and tailgate salt spreader. I always use 87 octane gas as directed. I have tried E85 as mine is a flex fuel, but the 10% savings in price, doesn't outweigh the 30% crappier gas mileage, so I won't even get into that. This was all with the 18 wheels.

I got 7 mpg at best plowing last winter. I do NOT let my truck idle EVER, if I am outside the truck loading salt or snowblowing sidewalks and it is sitting still, the engine is off. Even less mpg when carrying a ton of salt.

I get 10 mpg city with this truck on a good day when not plowing, with equipment not on truck. No weight on truck.

I get at best 14 mpg on highway, this is if I really concentrate on driving for the best mpg, and no more then 65mph, or it starts to drop. At 75 mph it goes down to about 12mpg, any faster and it goes lower.

I have upgraded to 20 inch wheels, the 2011 king ranch ones with that stock michelin ltx2 tire, so we'll see what happens this year.

In recap, I dought that this 6.2L gas engine gets 15% better gas mileage then the previous year of superduty gas engine as advertised when I purchased the truck in June of 2010.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  15. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Well 15% is only about 1.5 mpg better. My 08 10 gets about 5 to 6 when plowing and the best I've seen on the highway ia about 13 mpg. This summer we bought a new 5th wheel which loaded weighs about 10k I'm pushing it to get 7 maybe 8 going down hill. Sounds like to me you get 15% more than me. The truck has SCt tuner which I run the 89 octane gas and a KN air filter.

16. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

My 11 350 reg cab with the 6.2 has almost 20 k on her and I work the truck pretty good. I don’t have mileage numbers for you because honestly I don’t keep track. I do know is I like this motor better than any 5.4 I have ever had and gets my work done faster and easier. You don’t have to worry about a lack of power like in a 5.4 except when u get 10,000 + behind it the it will start doggen it. But I guess that is understandable.

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Wow those numbers are lower than I was expecting from this new motor. Anyone else have real world MPG's?

18. andyman5001

andyman5001 Member
    from NE Ohio

I get a consistant 11 MPG pulling an enclosed 14' trailer with 2-3 zero turns in Summer. Empty on trips traveling around 65-70 I can get up to16 MPG if I try. I am around 12 MPG around town with my plow on. Have not had to plow with it yet this year :) (all contracts!) I have the regular cab long bed 4X4 XL. It might be a little lighter than the extended cabs?

19. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

7-8 plowing, 10-12 around town. Make sure you turn the traction control off when plowing. It is useless with it on.

20. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

pricing these trucks out with a gas motor, we're at about 40,000 $

Im not impressed with those numbers at all.

I think chevy might be the better choice.
    not sure about the dodge,,,, anyone hear or have any news on the dodge or chevy as far as MPG's ?