1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plow with only 2 WD...?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Turf Commando, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Hello guys who plows snow with a full size 2WD truck ..? I don't mean a dully ..
    I bought (96) 1/2 F150 XLT to haul mowers around but wondered if putting a small plow was out of the question..
    I'd only be do residential driveways all info is welcome....TC
  2. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

anything is possible i guess, with alot of weight and good tires. i personaly couldnt do it with the large hills. hell half the time i have a hard time keeping going with 4x4 haha but i could use better tires..plus i carry hardly any weight.
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I would never plow with a 2wd but thats just me. do a search on this subject you will find lots of opinions.
  4. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

i have a 01 Chevy 3500 2wd dump with a plow does good here in Columbus, Ohio our snows are usually not that heavy so it works for me
  5. witty

witty Junior Member

to answer your question, yes its possible to plow with a 2wheel drive truck but depends on the truck. i had an 88 f250 4x4 w/8ft bed. i had both a plow and tailgate salt spreader on it. one year during a major storm storm, something blew in the front axle area and i was unable to activatee my 4x4. so at that point, i put a pallet of salt in the bed and continued plowing. boy let me tell you, that truck handled great with only the 2wheel drive. on the other hand, you have to take into perspective that the suspension system between a f150 and f250 are different. i personally wouldnt recommend puting a plow on a 2 wheel drive truck though. hope this helped.
  6. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

The only thing that works with 2wd are big dump trucks loaded with anti skid, a 1/2 ton pickup would get stuck every other foot in a decent snow (or flurry).
  7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

If you have enough weight in the truck you wont have a problem pushing. But if you get stuck or driving up hill you might have a problem. It all depends on what kind of plowing your using the truck for. If everything you plowing is flat you shouldn't have a problem. Put the plow on, beef you the front and rear suspension. And put some weight back there and you should have any problem. Also when using 2wd plow with the storm.
  9. fastlx

fastlx Junior Member

Your 96 ford f150 has a 8.8 rear. But the most important question is. does it have a locking rear differential? you will have to decode your label on the inside of your driver side door to find out.
  10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

This 1/2 ton 2wd plow truck question gets asked weekly here during the snow season. The plain and simple as is NO. Not worth the time or aggravation factor. The front end can't handle the weight and you can't put enough weight in the back to get enough traction with a single rear wheel. If it was a 1 ton dually 2wd, I would say go for it, but other wise no.
  11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

1/2 ton too light for 2 wd,,,,youll wanna drive into a building...but ull just be sliding round....
  12. HoveysLawnCare

HoveysLawnCare Junior Member

No half ton 2wd
  13. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

1 ton dually sure 1/2 ton no way. I carry 1400# of ballest in my dually and plow 75% of the time in 2wd. You could probably get away with 100% of the time but went the snow gets deep I through mine in 4x4
  14. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

my k2500 is a 4 x 4, but i carry about 1000 pounds of sand in the back for weight. i plow 90% of the time in 2wd. but when the heavier stuff like a ice/snow mix hits i need 4x4. i have really good tires on the truck but would i recommend plowing in 2wd in your case...no. unless you had a 3500hd or something in that nature. plus the frt of your truck isnt made to put a plow on it. the frt is going to sage to a point where stuff is going to start breaking plus the rear isnt going to get enough traction to keep the truck pushing the snow. if you stop with a load its going to be hard to get the load moving again unless you back up and hit it again. i personally would recommned getting a 3/4 ton.
  15. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Like everyone said, not with a 1/2 ton. I use a 4x4 1/2 ton with 700# of sand and the plow weight makes it so I need to be in 4wheel to push most of the time. Granted, I only do a handfull of drives, but even the flat ones require it.

Oh yeah, and you might also have the problem of when you lift the plow, the plow frame might touch the ground due to the weight rating and spring strenght.....
  16. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I've never had a ton of luck on small driveways...even with a ton of weight.
    I plow parking lots in 2WD once they are opened up and its just windrowing. Driveways just have too much hassle work...especially if the town hasn't plowed yet, sucks being stuck on the street with traffic coming at you
  17. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Thanks guys for the additional comments...
    I've already selected my set-up this year view my threads....ussmileyflag
  18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Dido, just a waste of time imo.
  19. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

No. No way. Not possible. No.
  20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I say go for it. Come back and let us know how it worked after you get unstuck.