1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plow with non efi trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by qualitylawn, Dec 30, 2008.

1. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

I found a deal on a old 79 ford f-250 4x4 400 would this make a good plow truck?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of guys around here run old iron. The only reason I bought the 81 is because the previous owner put a TBI 350 in it. No carbs for me if I can help it.

3. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

My 83 K20 has a carb & I would prefer EFI but She hasn't let me down yet. Where's a 2X4 to knock on????

4. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

We have a 87 ramcharger and a 85 W250 running carbs with no problems. But i still like my Cummins

5. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I run all old iron, they are cheap to reg and insure. They are cheap to by and fix. Plus you can fix them without a scan tool, and a hand full of tools from behind the seat!
    Had a 91 Silverado 2500 once. Had the same amount of issues with that as I did with any of my carbed trucks.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I use to run a carbed F250 auto and a couple efi F250's auto and stick. They all plowed equally well. The 86 carbed one would stall now and then if I hit a pile too hard. Not sure if being carbed mattered, but the efis never did that.

7. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

up until 2 years ago i had a carb on my plow truck, last year i still had a carb truck as a back up. now this year i have a pair of CTD's and MPI truck as back up. next year i am hopeing to have 3 CTDs Oh and nothing newer then a 93...

I perfer a carb truck over a TBI/MPI truck but they do not have the low end of the CTD...

8. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

i can buy this truck for $1000 130xxx miles second owner no rust!

9. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Personally I would say get it. For 1,000 and no rust, that sounds good to me, paid more than that for mine. I've had 6 Fords around that year and love them. Get some good tires and it'll push some serious snow.

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 77 F-750, it's got a straight carb, and I love it. I have less problems with this truck than my to Chevys. The sad thing is I am a chevy man, and it kills me to have problems with them. Of course the Ford has less than 50,000 miles, and the two chevys combined have over 300,000 so thats how I justify it all, lol.

11. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have a 79 F150 and a 77 W200 Dodge. I like them because they are simple compared to the new stuff. I personally like solid front axles, leaf springs, mechanical T-case linkages, lockout hubs, etc. On the other hand I really wouldn't want to go clear back to points distributors, generators, solid lifters or "Armstrong" power steering. The carb isn't really an issue except funky starting and warming up. Both of these trucks need a complete warm up before they will really go to work. The Ford will move around before it is warm, but it won't sit and idle without babysitting. The Dodge starts and idles, but forget moving it before it gets warm. Both of them do just fine once they are warm and working. My trucks have their own problems, mostly from being 30+ years old. Some parts are getting harder to find, especially used drive train stuff. A lot of it went for scrap last summer. My Ford dealer has been around in the same building for over 50 years, and they still occasionally find obsolete parts for me in some dusty corner.

I had a 79 F250 but it finally rotted away after 20 years of plowing. If the one you are looking at has the Dana 60 front axle it is about as bulletproof as you can find. The 400 seems to hold up better than the 351, even though they are basically the same engine.

If you don't do most of your own repairs, it is sometimes tough to find somebody who understands and is willing to work on the older stuff.

"Why don't you get rid of that POS and get a real truck"
    Translation: " I can't diagnose it with my scan tool and I have no clue how it works or what is wrong with it."
    "There aren't enough expensive throw away parts on it for me to make a profit on."

12. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

And "When I went to school they did not teach us anything about these carbs"

I spent all the my plowing in the 90's in a 79 F150 w/ a 400. I still wish I had that truck it was a short box and would push snow like a mutha. Solid axles, gear to gear transfer case, lock outs...these trucks still have a place in the plowing world IMO.

13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Had a '75 K-5 Blazer w/ 4bbl 350. Quadrajunk spreadbore carb was sort of a pain. Holley vac. secondary squarebore was much more dependable. Could rebuild the Holley in about 2 hrs. Forget about rebuilding & dialing in a Quadrajet. As a side note Holley had a true manual choke w/ a fast idle cam. Cold blooded 'till warm, but easy to keep running, didn't stall & started right up, hard to flood.

14. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

we plow with a 77 broncow/carbed 302, and a 85 f-250 w/carbed 351W 4bbl other then carb freezing, no problems

15. bigmike1289

bigmike1289 Junior Member

I have an 82 bronco that i just started plowing with and its carbed with a stick and did pretty good in the snow that came down in jersey on new years eve

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

What do you think was used before EFI was introduced?

There was a time when only a Vette was fuel injected. :dizzy:

17. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I use a 78 chevy carbed truck with no problems just have to let it warm up a bit before you start.

18. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I think it would be a great truck. Open the hood and know what your looking at, sit on the fender next to the engine. And hey you don't have to remove the cab to change the trany !

19. B-Rad

B-Rad Junior Member

We have an '84 F350 Dump with the 351 Windsor and a 7.5 western. It sips fuel when plowing all day. Its a good truck but being carbed it needs to warm up for while. Also when something breaks such as a fuel pump its only $25 to repair instead of $400

20. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

Old iron is great

I am in the planning stages of building a super CJ-7 Jeep into a super driveway rig.It is a 1979 with factory 304 V8.Going to put a New 4wd hardware frame under it and fiberglass body. 7' Meyers blade with a Western pump setup.Slight body lift so I can keep everything hosed off when done.No emissions to speak of on it and basically exempt because of its age.ARB air lockers,Dana 300 transfer case and locking hubs should make it a great driveway rig...