1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone plow with Jeep TJ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by quincy33, Feb 12, 2004.

1. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

Thinking of getting a Jeep Tj for personal use and maybe putting a small western straight blade on it. Just wondering if they can handle plowing, see lots of guys doing it??????

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, they will handle it. Especially if you get the 4.0L six cylinder. You will need to put a lighter plow on it. Maybe a Suburbanite or a Homesteader. Jeeps handle very well pushing snow. Don't expect to go all commercial with it. At best you will only get 6 1/2' of blade on it safely.

3. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

thanks, plow meister, I see alot of jeeps with western plows, i won't be doing too much plowing, i want an employee to start learning how to plow, he's tired of shovelling sidewalks, can't blame him, jeeps would be a good starter, plus he could backdrag loading doors while i scoop with v-plow.

4. Plow Meister

If you are doing mostly residentials, I would strongly recommend investing in a rear mounted "back plow". They PULL the snow away from the garage doors instead of having to back drag. Way more efficient for residentials. I wouldn't recommend one for a TJ though. Too heavy. Since you are a landscaper and live in toronto, don't your trucks have 4wd? You could put a plow on your pickup and save $30,000 on a new TJ.

5. classicman

classicman Member

7'2" Western, but ya outta wait if you can

Western is coming out with a better blade this year for 'em==

You need Ft Air Shock kit- Mopar has a kit. 7'2" is FINE

6. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

thanks for replies, i have 4x4 but that is what i use with slip-in salter, i want jeep for personal use, and i have a few small condos that would be perfect for a jeep.

7. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

I use a 98 tj for plowing and love it. It's the 4.0 six 5/spd.Plenty of power and most of the time it has good traction with 400 lb of ballast.It has a western uni-mount 6.5 ft blade that i extended to 7foot 8 inches.I use air lift air bags inside the coil springs,wich gives me a great ride,even with the plow on.Plus you dont have a harsh ride in the summer.The only thing i would do diff. is i would buy the automatic trans. Good luck.

8. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

Jeepboy, thannks, goin to the toronto auto show tomorrow(SAT), glad to know a jeep can hold a good size blade, and you answered my next question about 5 speed vs. auto, I can't believe you plow with a 5-speed, you must be exhausted at the end of the night. Jeepboy, where or what are your coil absorbers, are they timbrens, who makes the load boosters????

9. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

quincy33,Yes i do get tired especially after plowing approx.25 to 30 drives and lots per event. I found my air lift air bags at summit racing in akron oh.They were arround 65$. The nice thing about air bags is that you won't know they are there when you run the min air pressure-10 psi. I do alot of 4-wheeling in the summer and even with all the mud and debris i drive through they hold up well.Timbrens are nice but they will effect the ride quality when you don't run with the plow on.Don't buy the compressor kit from air lift,it won't last 2 seasons,i ended up removing the compressor and just fill up the bags from the gauge manifold i mounted inside the jeep.I also installed them on the rear for when i pull my camper,car dolly,or trailer.

As far as installation i did have to drill a hole in the center of the spring perch for the air line,wich requires you to remove the spring.But removing the bottom shock bolt and sway bar link allows the axle to drop down far enough to easily r&r the spring. Total install time was about 2 hours,and i took my time.Any questions and you can call me at 330-550-3992. Tom.

10. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

Thanks, Jeepboy, really appreciate the info, 1 more quick question, how reliable are the Jeeps 4.0 L, and do you have to beef up the battery?

11. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

I have the stock alt. it is 117 amps,i found this out by taking my cerial number to my jeep dealer and the parts guy ran the build sheet on it. This alt. has no problems keeping up with the plow, but i did have a connection problem from running through too much salt water at ocean city md. LOLGet the 117 amp alt you won't regret it. The 4.0L. engine is great,plenty of torque,Heck i have even pulled my mowing trailer while the f150 was down for a week and it weighs,about 4200lbs. That was pushing it,but it was a "had to do" situation.My jeep has the 3.07 gears in the diffs,but i would reccommend going with the 4.10"s they are alot better for how i use the tj.

12. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

Thanks jeepboy, i like the idea of having a 7.2 blade, i just got off the western web site, it really helps to do your homework, i'm wondering if a tailgate salter can be attached to the back where the spare tire is????

13. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

On stock jeeps the rear tire carrier is mounted to the rear door.It's not strong enough to mount a spreader to. There ero two ways i would consider,one is to buy a hitch mounted spreader that would slide into a reciever. Or buy a heavy duty rear bumper/tire carrier used for 33 inch or bigger tires and have a mounting bracket welded to it,but this is an expensive solution and you would have to come up with a way top mount your spare.I'd go with the reciever style mount it's cheaper and you don't have to find a place for your spare.

14. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

Yeah, it's probably too much trouble, besides I'll probably just get salt all over the roof if loaded at a local salt depot, at least with a tailgate in a pick-up, the excess salt can land in the bed, bags are too expensive anyway.

15. Plow Meister

jeepboy,
    That is way too much blade for a Jeep. I am sure it does the job, but at what cost. Sooner than later, your clutch is going to go out due to the increased stress, all the u-joints, the less than adequate Dana 30 front diff, etc. It would be like asking how much you can bench press. "I can bench 250 pounds." That's great, but can you do it 50 times in a row?

16. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I really doubt that you have 3.07 gears with a 5 speed, I think that gearing is only available with an auto. you probably have 3.54 or something in that range, or 3.73 are pretty popular with the 4.0, I think 4.10s are reserved for the 2.5 4 cyl. Your 5 speed would be a real dog with 3.07s, you might want to check on that again.
    As far as towing, you really should not tow much more than 2000 pounds with a TJ, it has the power, but the wheelbase just makes it a dangerous situation. Please, for your own safety, try to avoid this at all costs, and use extreme caution if it is absolutely necessary.

-Jer

17. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

plow meister,to reply to your comment about clutch life I have replaced the clutch at about 91,000 because i thought it was time. I ended up using the stock pressure plate,because i didn't like the pedal feel with the borg-warner i installed.I usually 4-wheel this jeep every other wknd. in the summer so u-joints are a part of my maintence routine,they dont last long in water and mud,even if their greasable.As far as the dana 30 and 35, i run some trails with 4-5 foot ledges through a creek,nothing broken yet.(smile)

Griptruk, My axle code on the build sheet is dmmp wich is a 3.07 ratio,according to the info my jeep dealer printed from the vin number,I am looking to change to 4.10 or 4.56....any higher would require a carrier change too. At times on the highway it lacks a little power esp when pulling my pop-up camper. No way would i advise someone to pull that much weight,and your 100 % correct,It's dangerous. The starter in my ford went bad,had to drill the bellhousing,and after the third starter i bought a winner. That was a week i would like to forget. LOL If you ever get some time to go wheeling,e-mail me.I'll Show you some trails in western pa. or eastern ohio. Tom.

18. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

plow meister,to reply to your comment about clutch life I have replaced the clutch at about 91,000 because i thought it was time. I ended up using the stock pressure plate,because i didn't like the pedal feel with the borg-warner i installed.I usually 4-wheel this jeep every other wknd. in the summer so u-joints are a part of my maintence routine,they dont last long in water and mud,even if their greasable.As far as the dana 30 and 35, i run some trails with 4-5 foot ledges through a creek,nothing broken yet.(smile)

Griptruk, My axle code on the build sheet is dmmp or 3.07 gear ratio,according to the info my jeep dealer printed from the vin number,I am looking to change to 4.10 or 4.56....any higher would require a carrier change too. At times on the highway it lacks a little power esp when pulling my pop-up camper. No way would i advise someone to pull that much weight,and your 100 % correct,It's dangerous. The starter in my ford went bad,had to drill the bellhousing,and after the third starter i bought a winner. That was a week i would like to forget. LOL If you ever get some time to go wheeling,e-mail me.I'll Show you some trails in western pa. or eastern ohio area. Tom.

19. Plow Meister

I am a Jeep guru. I can take apart any Jeep blindfolded (getting it put back together is a different story). Seriously, off roading is entirely different than plowing. Yes, when climbing steep grades and off camber situations you will put serious stress on a drive line. Plowing snow, has different strains, like constant adverse pressure on the drive line. Also, the added weight on the front end, if only in the air for a short period of time, still puts a great strain on the ball joints, springs, and steering components. If you 'wheel a lot, you know that springs are a vital proponent in the articulation of a vehicle. Adding a plow will vastly decrease the spring rate after a short time.

Honestly, I could go on about my knowledge on Jeeps. You could look in past editions of Petersons 4 Wheeler magazine and see a few of my teams creations. We are hoping to get one of my Jeeps in this years Pikes Peak Challenge. If you ever get to Attica, IN go to The Badlands, you will see a ton of pics of Jeeps that I have built from the ground up starting with my own tube frame and 4 link suspension system. I am fully aware of what the stock Dana 35-30 combo is capable of. When built right with heavier axle shafts and by beefing up the housing, they can be menacing. I don't expect you to take my word for that of God. Just take comfort in the fact I understand what you want to do and are capable of doing. I just wouldn't recommend a blade over 6 1/2' on ANY Jeep. especially one that is 'wheeled regularly.

20. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

Plow meister,While plowing and wheeling stress vehicles in diffenent ways,i think the most important reason for the amount stress placed on components is the driver. I've seen alot of Axle shafts,and u-joints snap because in my opinion,the driver was abusive. And usually my jeep car dollies them home,after pulling them out to the road. Most of the broken or damaged parts i've seen while plowing,in my opinion have been caused by driver abuse.The clutch is one part that takes alot of abuse,but used properly it can last quite a while.I didn't really need to replace my disc,but with the r&r time to check it,and having it apart,i just went ahead and replaced it while i was there. I agree with you about the springs,they start going south the minute weight is applied,thats why i installed the air bags to help hold the extra weight.Articulation is a usefull part of any suspension system,esp. off road.I've seen guy's spend thousands of dollars on lifts,lockers and gears, but in the end it's 80% driver-20% vehicle on most trails.I think what i would stress is to properly maintain a vehicle if your going to depend on it,wheather it's snow plowing or wheeling.(fingers crossed) So far the ball joint's and steering have held up well.

It sounds like you have alot of knowledge on 4x4 vehicles,and that is usefull when it comes to plowing.I quit working at a chevy dealership when plowing and mowing got to be a full time job,and i pull from that knowledge every day.Are you affiliated with jeep-frog 4x4's?I've wheeled with Val at wellsville.Tom.